World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Sources
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sources Your DIY source designs (turntables etc.)

Old 4th October 2012, 09:11 PM

Default The Terminator has arrived.

This arrived this afternoon.
http://www.trans-fi.com/manual.htm

All went together in logical and straightforward manner.
It may keep me up all night

Highly recommend it.

Alastair
Old 4th October 2012, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: The Terminator has arrived.

Oh Gawd that looks awesome Alastair! The sight of all those adjustments would keep me up all night but I hope you mean it sounds great!

What deck/cart etc are you using? Is it difficult to set up etc?
Old 4th October 2012, 10:39 PM

I was meaning I would be up all night (plus a mild double entendre, of course) listening to it. It is brilliant.
Like anything, you wonder if it will really make any worthwhile difference. This delivered, and in no half measures.

Given a drill, a crosshead screwdriver, a 3mm Allen key plus one to change the cartridge, a spirit level, scissors/knife, it was just a case of doing what it said, with totally minimal reading between lines necessary. They sent exactly everything you need.
I found that drawing a few lines on a piece of A4 paper with a hole (to go centre on the spindle) made all the measuring very simple.

10x easier and much more accurate to align than a pivot arm. The whole way across the record it tracks to within the angle of rotation of the record which equates to a ballpoint pen line's thickness of rotation. That bit took a couple of minutes, having made the said piece of paper.

It took a few hours.

Any hassle, and much of the time taken was not down to the arm, but to the fact that my turntable never evolved beyond Mark 0.25 breadboard (almost literally a breadboard - a chunk of 25mm MDF left over from speaker building) prototype I stuck together 12 or 15 years ago, with various ergonomic problems which I have never acted upon any need to fix. The bearing, platter and motor are Origin Live's "Ultra" kit. I don't think they do kits any more.

The cartridge is DNM Reson Aciore, nothing specially for the arm. I don't have figures for compliance, effective mass etc etc, but it sounds excellent.

None of this business of the crescendo on the last track always sounding a bit ropey now.

Alastair

Last edited by A Stuart; 5th October 2012 at 02:21 AM. Reason: minor tweaking
Old 5th October 2012, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

Great stuff, I've watched those arms evolve and it seems to be a really good product now
Old 26th July 2013, 02:51 PM

Hi Guys
I have recently completed building my own T/T from scratch and the final touch was the purchase and setting up of the Terminater arm and Dynavector DV-XX2MKII. I can enthusiastically endorse everything good said about this arm from its simplicity of set up to its incredible production of music. I now find myself adding to my vinyl collection faster than at any time past (or it feels like it). The mating of the arm and Dynavector cart has an added bonus in that they play my older and worn LPs with hardly any surface noise. I am knocking on a bit and having abused my hands in engineering I am now a bit clumsy so I looked with some trepidation at the setting up of the cart, after a couple of false starts the penny dropped and I now have no fears concerning this procedure. The quality of the reproduction is superb and attempting to describe it in words would be very difficult, one has to hear it for oneself. All I require now is for another pair of reliable ears to listen and give judgement so if anybody within reasonable distance of Wokingham Berks fancies some grub,red wine and music, give me a buzz on 01189619762. Due to my age you will have supply your own women
Regards
John Lancaster.
Old 26th July 2013, 02:58 PM

Hi Guys
I have recently completed building my own T/T from scratch and the final touch was the purchase and setting up of the Terminater arm and Dynavector DV-XX2MKII. I can enthusiastically endorse everything good said about this arm from its simplicity of set up to its incredible production of music. I now find myself adding to my vinyl collection faster than at any time past (or it feels like it). The mating of the arm and Dynavector cart has an added bonus in that they play my older and worn LPs with hardly any surface noise. I am knocking on a bit and having abused my hands in engineering I am now a bit clumsy so I looked with some trepidation at the setting up of the cart, after a couple of false starts the penny dropped and I now have no fears concerning this procedure. The quality of the reproduction is superb and attempting to describe it in words would be very difficult, one has to hear it for oneself. All I require now is for another pair of reliable ears to listen and give judgement so if anybody within reasonable distance of Wokingham Berks fancies some grub,red wine and music, give me a buzz on 01189619762. Due to my age you will have supply your own women
Regards
John Lancaster.
Old 26th July 2013, 11:44 PM

Glad to see another convert.
I continue to pat myself on the back for opting for this one.
It is so elegantly simple and effective.
Alastair