Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > WD Loudspeakers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WD Loudspeakers For discussion of World Designs Loudspeakers

Old 3rd July 2018, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

Default stereo imaging nightmare help

HI All
Well were here again with the stereo imaging nightmare
Yes it’s going over old rope again here but some new thought from the members may help

As I have been re-evaluating the setup of my kit lately and after a lot of f+++words the same imaging problem I had last time is still there where vocals and instruments are pulled to the right of centre

Now this could be me as I have a slight dip in the midrange in my left ear. Which is why I fitted a temporary test balance pot in the WAD CF pre last time the schematic used is showing in image 2 which worked well but to fit it meant drilling the front panel of the CF pre I didn’t want to do that?

So I still think it may be me with my left ear problem or the room it’s self whichever it is it’s driving the nuts
See image one of room layout it’s a bit old now as the speaker have changed but the layout is still the same way.
I am thinking that the boiler cupboard area is the route of the problem there
I welcome any views you may have to help me resolve this thanks

Setup used original rega plainer 3 plinth Foam filled Rega RB250/ortfon 2M blue WAD phono2 WAD CF pre custom built JE labs single ended KT66 Amp / Mordaunt-Short MS8121s soon to be replaced with my back loaded frugal horns when finished
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image1.jpg (37.6 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Balance Pot.jpg (5.3 KB, 24 views)

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s
Other turntables AR EB101/Thorns TD150mk2/Thorns TD160mk2

If you have trouble reading my posts its because I am a dyslexic member
Old 3rd July 2018, 07:37 PM

Default Re: stereo imaging nightmare help

Hello Colin,

You've more than likely done this already, but assuming you are using a stereo pot, have you actually confirmed with a meter that the 2 tracks are balanced. If not, worth checking as you said your balance control helped.

Phil.
Old 3rd July 2018, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
Hello Colin,

You've more than likely done this already, but assuming you are using a stereo pot, have you actually confirmed with a meter that the 2 tracks are balanced. If not, worth checking as you said your balance control helped.

Phil.

Hi Phil.
Yes It could be the Alps pot I think I will retry putting one of my solid state amps back in as see if I get same result
I still think the room has the most part to play it’s not the best idea firing speakers across the room as imaging is prone to move anyway if I move even just a little the imaging is tight at best

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s

Old 3rd July 2018, 08:07 PM

The right speaker is 3 feet closer to the outer wall then the left, this could create earlier reflection from that side, speakers in corners tend to sound louder.

Chris.
Old 3rd July 2018, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
The right speaker is 3 feet closer to the outer wall then the left, this could create earlier reflection from that side, speakers in corners tend to sound louder.

Chris.
Hi All
Looking at what Chris Said about earlier reflection
I moved the Right speaker out to the right wall next to the rack to even things out but nothing changed vocals are still pulled to the right of centre. But seem to drift about in Right side of the image if I move

or if i look directly at the right speaker the image will centre better so I think it must be me or that bloody boiler cupboard area I now have to sit at end of the couch to stay in the triangle with the speaker moved out

Old 4th July 2018, 12:57 AM
WD Archivist

Looking at your room set up, I’d be inclined to change your set up through 90 degrees so your speakers fire down the longest part of the room. Yes I can see this might be an expensive nuisance in terms of furniture change, but in my view, the way to go.

So change the orientation by 90 degrees, buy in a shorter sofa or better, a couple of comfortable listening chairs. I feel sure, firing your system ‘down’ the room will bring balancing benefits. Of course, if your ears are f****d, nothing will make it better, but as you have already done, the intelligent application of balancing may well be you best option. If it was me, I’d fire down the room long before I’d look at any alternative.
Old 4th July 2018, 07:02 AM

Sorry if this is going over previous events, but what have you done to ensure there is not a small source or pre / amp or speaker imbalance?
Have you tried swapping left and right leads round (one at a time) from your source through to the speakers. Testing each change as you go. And swap the speakers left to right of course.

A couple of other thoughts;
If you use headphones do you have the same problem?
If you play in mono do you get a central image?

Alan
Old 4th July 2018, 07:21 AM

My thought's Colin, as you know, my ears are f****d now, got an appointment this morning to see if hearing aids will help, any way, some years ago I had a very similar experience to you, it turned out after much head scratching, and swearing, that my speaker cable, QED silver spiral, was corroding away at one end on the channel that was poor, increasing the resistance, replacement solved the problem, I not sure what cable you use, but it may be some help to you. BOB
Old 4th July 2018, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the replies guys
Hope your appointment goes well Bob

Still a lot to do on this
Hadn’t thought about problems with the Cables this is my old QED 79 strand at the moment but I normally use 30 amp mains solid core the 79 is better for moving the speakers about

Greg’s suggesting Is likely the best way to go specially with the frugal corner horns crossed over to the bass helpers more on this later as I have to go out for now

Old 4th July 2018, 02:07 PM

What happens if you swap the speaker leads over at the amp? If the problem is anything to do with the amp or source, the image should move towards the other speaker. If I’d doesn’t, then it’s the speakers or the room. If you then swap the leads back and swap the speakers themselves, that will tell you if it’s the speakers or the room causing the problem.