World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

News News from World Designs

Old 22nd October 2006, 11:38 AM

Default Make your own high quality interconnect

We have added Soniqs ICT interconnect cable and Neutrik Pro quality phono plugs to the World Designs Catalogue.

Soniqs ICT is specially developed as a high quality, balanced interconnect cable using high purity copper, silver plated and insulated in PTFE dielectric. Twin cores are twisted and shrouded in silver plated copper braid, the whole cable is then tightly taped with PTFE to avoid any microphony.

The balanced concept can be used equally well with balanced or unbalanced amplifiers. Twin cores allow you to use identical cables for signal and return with the braid connected at one end (usually the source) so that the screen is grounded to only one component.

This cable is ideally used with either the Neutrik or Eichmann plugs. The Neutrik has gold plated connections with easy solder signal and ground terminals and is supplied with two strain relief outers to suit a range of cable diameters from 3mm to 6.1mm.

Using these components you can make an interconnect cable that is the equal or better than commercial cables at a fraction of the cost.
Old 22nd October 2006, 12:58 PM

Default Re: Make your own high quality interconnect

Peter

this is good news - I have been meaning to replace my "supplied with equipment" type freebie interconnects for a long time but am too tight fisted to buy expensive commercial offerings. This is just the incentive I need to get on with the job.

Making my own also means I can make them to the optimum length and cut down on the spaghetti at the back of the cabinet, slightly improving the WAF too.

Do you have any plans to introduce a good value speaker cable too?

Steve
Old 22nd October 2006, 06:06 PM

Yes we do, coming up later this year.
Old 22nd October 2006, 09:38 PM

Aha! A sensibly priced piece of excellent quality cable for DIY balanced / semi-balanced interconnects. Plus, you get to wave two fingers at the thieving cable companies. This is a good thing indeed.
Old 22nd October 2006, 10:24 PM
WD Archivist

Thanks Peter for introducing this to your catalogue. It mirrors what was previously available from IPL Acoustics who can no longer supply and is a cable type I and I'm sure others have settled on for our personal use. Thanks also that there has been no hike in the price. I'll certainly be ordering this from you in the future. I use this type for all my I/C's and signal wiring within my amps. I also introduce it to amps belonging to others I've been commissioned to work on. Excellent stuff and an excellent inclusion to your product range.

Here's a slightly challenging question.....IPL claimed their product was OFC. You've not made that claim. I always wondered about the IPL claim. What is your take on this?

Best wishes,

Greg
Old 22nd October 2006, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg.
Here's a slightly challenging question.....IPL claimed their product was OFC. You've not made that claim. I always wondered about the IPL claim. What is your take on this?

Greg
In my experience the claims made for Oxygen Free Copper are not always maintained in metallurgical analysis. In other words OFC has become such a buzzword in cables that all cable manufacturers claim it whether they can substantiate it or not. If I can't be absolutely sure it is OFC I won't claim it. I don't know whether this cable is identical to the IPL cable, I've just described it as it is.

Whenever I've tested cables it is the purity of the copper that seems to matter more than the absolute statement of Oxygen Free. High purity copper is better than 99.99% pure and this indicates a freedom from other metals and gases to a level that ensures optimum signal conduction.

The only thing better is Long Crystal copper but this is very expensive to produce and doesn't always seem worth the money. It is, if you like, the icing on the cake where everything else is close to perfection in the system.

What we have aimed for with this cable is to deliver an interconnect which matches the signal cabling used inside our new amplifier kits i.e. high purity copper in PTFE insulation for the anode, UL, grid and cathode connections.
Old 22nd October 2006, 11:12 PM

Peter
do you have any plans to make your signal hook up wire available?

Old 23rd October 2006, 08:07 AM

I'll put it on the catalogue today.
Old 23rd October 2006, 05:06 PM

Good news Peter, I just used my last bit of IPL interconnect the other day replacing that horrible thin grey stuff in my Phono and was wondering what to use instead.

I hope your hook up wire is better than the black stuff used in my WAD amp. I hate the way the insulation on it melts before your soldering iron even gets near it, well ok, a slight exageration, but it doesn't take much before it looks a mess.

Rupert