World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

Old 3rd January 2013, 12:59 AM

Default Nagaoka MP 110 Cartridge.

Nagaoka MP 110 Cartridge tested in HiFi World Magazine Feb 2013. Any one use one? I need a new cartridge, but I'm not sure this is for me. Channel separation 25 db, is that low, not very "stereo"?
Old 3rd January 2013, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Nagaoka MP 110 Cartridge.

I think you should come up to date with a more modern cart one I use and one to consider is the Ortofon 2M Blue very good sounding cart I use this on my Rega RB250 into my WD phono 2 very happy with it when playing well recorded vinyl
There is also the cheaper Ortofon 2M red but you need to shop around for best prices
http://www.acton-gate-audio.co.uk/products/product_details.asp?ProductID=2748

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s
Other turntables AR EB101/Thorns TD150mk2/Thorns TD160mk2

If you have trouble reading my posts its because I am a dyslexic member
Old 3rd January 2013, 04:15 PM

Yes I agree with Colin, the 2M range is very good, the blue is very sweet and the black is better than some moving coil's, I use a Cadenza blue MC, it is fantastic, but at £1000.00 it should be. I tried Nagaoka cartridges many years ago and found them quite hard sounding, also the 1000 goldrings are quite nice. BOB
Old 3rd January 2013, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

Hi BoB
Yes the Ortofon range is very good for the money I also have a goldring 1042 which sounds very good but suffers sibilance with the linn lvx on my Thorns TD150mk2 and Rega RB250 on 160mk2 TTs
changing to the 2m blue on the rega setup fixed those problems maybe the 1042 just don’t like the rega and linn arms must try it again sometime thou
i had a Nagaoka MP 11. 20 plus years ago

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s
Other turntables AR EB101/Thorns TD150mk2/Thorns TD160mk2

If you have trouble reading my posts its because I am a dyslexic member

Last edited by colin.hepburn; 3rd January 2013 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Added text
Old 3rd January 2013, 11:36 PM

Another vote here for the Goldring 1042. I've had it for many years as the DNM variant and put in a new 1042 stylus last year to good effect.

I would like to try one of the Ortofons but as I also have a Denon 103, an AT-F3 and a Shure V15VxMR - all of which have their own sonic signatures - I can't really justify the expense of another one !
Old 3rd January 2013, 11:41 PM

Hi Greg, what stylus have you got in the V15VxMR ?

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 4th January 2013, 11:06 AM

Hi Michael,
I cannot comment on the Nagaoka, but admit that I too was very intrigued by Noel's review. From his comments it seems to pack a lot of punch for the money. An added bonus is that it can be upgraded to a boron cantilever too...
I myself use a Benz micro glider L 2. However I did build a turntable up for my father in-law and fitted it with a Ortofon 2M red. I was surprised by how good it sounds (I fitted it to my turntable for about 10 days whilst my cartridge was sent off to Dominic Harper at Northwest analogue for the suspension to be tightened)... But after the service of my Benz, I could clearly hear that the Ortofon sounded harsh and less refined than the Benz. But it's so easy to find fault in a cheaper product when there is a comparison of an item which is six times the price of the other.
Noel's comments that the Nagaoka sounded warm could influence your decision. I found it intriguing that it was described as such, but not to the extent of it sounding dated.
Of course, one of the attributes of vinyl replay is that it is acknowledged for sounding warmer than it's digital equivalent. Modern turntable/tonearm/cartridge design has stepped away somewhat from this orientation as it is now seen as coloration...
So, rather than suggest a cartridge, I would tend to ask yourself again what you are looking for in a cartridge. What is your vinyl setup, and what are you hoping to achieve with a new cartridge? Are you looking for a departure from what you have already, or are you looking for more of the same?
I think that maybe you could define your tastes a little further first, and that may be able to help you reach a decision on your cartridge.
Failing that, contact Dominic Harper at Northwest Analogue, he is a member of this forum, but also has his own (Garrad matters), and although he too may not have experience with Nagaokas, he would be able to throw more questions in your direction.
Hope that this brings more head scratching, but yeilding towards a self-enlightenment.
Old 5th January 2013, 12:41 AM

I want a flat frequency response cartridge. I find other people's systems sound too bright. I did think of the Ortofon Blue, but I think it will be too bright for me. I don't think it will fit my headshell. The Nagaoka has a falling response, and might sound a bit dull. I did think of a Denon DL160. Not quite flat, but near, and not too heavy tracking weight, (2 gram is my max), it also has a fine stylus, (a big plus for me). But they are not made any more.
Sorry for delay. I cannot post a reply, just would not post. Mike.
Old 5th January 2013, 06:58 AM

I'm with Justin on this one. The very limited experience I've had with modern cartridges (the 2011 & 2012 HiFi shows in Australia - thank you Chester Group) left me pretty unimpressed. Call me old and nostalgic, I don't care, but getting vinyl to sound like squeaky clean digital just didn't do it for me.
The Nagaokas, with a warmer balance, I suspect would be right up my alley and I do in fact have a MP100, bought second hand on Ebay for a pittance, waiting for the day I can afford to put a better stylus on it. The unit is absolutely mint with apparently only 15 hours on it and, since I'm pretty sure the mp100/110 differ only in the stylus profile so Noels review will be of great interest to me. Pity the issue is still 2-3 months away from distribution here in Australia.
I assume Noel put the MP150 or MP200 boron cantilevered stylus on it? I'm also assuming the review was pretty positive.
Hope whatever cartridge you settle on delivers the sonic goods you are after,

Hal55
Old 5th January 2013, 10:39 AM

Hi Michael,
Ok, I suggest you visit Garrad matters. The discussions there are much more cartridge specific. From my dealings with him (and his forum), I know he has lots of experience with older cartridges from yesteryear, and I am certain he would be able to advise you. He also buys old cartridges and rebuilds them, selling them on, so, there will be lots for you to think about. His partner, Natalie, is also a vinyl/Hifi enthusiast, but approaches the experience from a different angle to Dom, which is less technical but none the less relevant and interesting as her thoughts and responses (on the forum) reflect this. Sometimes common sense instincts are lost in theoretical analysis. We all know that listening to music (whatever the medium) is a subjective experience, so, sometimes a -more-common language has it's uses.
As the Ortofon 2M range are relatively modern designs, this (of course) is reflected in their 'sound'. So, if you find that modern cartridges sound a little bright and forward in their presentation, they are probably not for you.
I think you need to research more (on more specific forums) on cartridges, as well as contacting engineers who have an advanced knowledge on types of cartridge, etc.
You could also try contacting Noel Keywood himself.
Having thought about this, I wonder if - you are looking for a flat response/a modern sounding cartridge, but think of them as too bright... Have you considered altering your budget? My Benz (granted, it is an mc) is more subtle, less edgy, and quite possibly what you might be looking for...?

Justin.