World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Sources
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sources Your DIY source designs (turntables etc.)

Old 16th February 2014, 10:42 PM

Default Andy needs a new cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg. View Post
Dom also supplies a green putty which can be applied to the stylus to lift off muck. I understand it works very well without causing trauma to the suspension.
But be careful with it................... I got hamfisted with some and now the ortofon rondo's just gone in its box to be posted to Mr Harper for his magic fingers to work on it.
It was probably only a matter of time before I broke the cantilever.

I've only actually worn one MC cartridge out............... all the rest succumbed to damage in one form or another. Delicate things they are.
Old 16th February 2014, 11:17 PM
WD Archivist

Default Re: Stylus wear

That's interesting. I advocated it because I have total faith in Dominic Harper's recommendations, albeit in principle, I didn't like it's method of use because I felt sure it could easily stress the suspension on the cantilever. Your experience firmly confirms for me that my vibrating cleaner is the best option.
Old 17th February 2014, 12:11 AM

Yep I think I'll revert to the venerable ortofon electronic cleaner.
I knew I'd been a bit silly as I pressed the stuff on to the stylus I felt it go, I'd been just a bit too firm.
Ah well, that's the budget for the rest of the bits for the 5-20 project blown. I'll concentrate on the CF preamp and the 3-3 build. I guess I could always flog the OL1 arm if I get desperate, but I won't get much for it I think. I like having a choice of arms as I can swap cartridges in and out that way. I have been tempted to get that arm rewired like I did the RB600 with a one piece loom.
In any case I feel confident that Dominic Harper will restore my Ortofon to more than it's previous glory. With a solid boron cantilever and GygerII tip it will be pretty much like having a Rondo Bronze in a Rondo Blue shell. I think the only differences are the cantilevers and stylii as you go up the range. Plus I will know that the cartridge will be perfectly aligned internally.

Until then It's back to the AT95E It's an ok cartridge but I do want the smoothness and detail of the MC back.

ANdy.
Old 17th February 2014, 12:43 PM

I have just had a phone chat with Dom Harper, It looks like it's not worth getting the ortofon looked at as I may have broken the suspension wire inside the cartridge.
So I'm shopping around I guess for a replacement.
Whether to go for another Ortofon MC part ex or cut my losses and buy someone elses cartridge.
Even a moving magnet seems attractive now, but beware of the Green Putty!
I was using it wrong, the idea is to just touch the stylus tip with it.
Funds are tight just now so I am not sure which way to go. I want the delicacy of sound of a moving coil, but the robustness of a MM and at an affordable price.
Impossible ask I think.
I did like Richards DL160 but how would one sound on a Gyro SE with an Incognito wired RB600.

A.
Old 17th February 2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerhifinut View Post
I did like Richards DL160 but how would one sound on a Gyro SE with an Incognito wired RB600.

A.
Probably a lot better than the AT95E.

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 17th February 2014, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator

Yes sorry to hear about the Rondo Bob. They stopped the DL160 a few years ago but still do the DL110 which gets good reports. Fitted one to a mate's TT (TD160S with Akito) 3 weeks ago and it tracks well and sounds very good. Mantra have them at a decent price so I'll probably get one next, https://shop.mantra-audio.co.uk/acat...artridges.html
Old 17th February 2014, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Yes sorry to hear about the Rondo Bob. They stopped the DL160 a few years ago but still do the DL110 which gets good reports. Fitted one to a mate's TT (TD160S with Akito) 3 weeks ago and it tracks well and sounds very good. Mantra have them at a decent price so I'll probably get one next, https://shop.mantra-audio.co.uk/acat...artridges.html
It wasn't Bob, it was me Richard!
I have a few irons in the fire, I may even investigate one of the better Rega cartridges if I can get at the right price.
I can part ex the ortofon for another ortofon MC, but right now I don't much feel like having another flimsy moving coil.
It's about the same amount of money as getting a rondo Blue part ex but I have heard good reports on the Ortofon 2M Black MM. You pay for a Sh*t hot cantilever and Shibata stylus, the same as on the MC Jubilee and it seems to be very highly rated.
I might get lucky and the local dealer may have a demo model I can have a loan of.
I have always recently bought my cartridges from the same dealer as he does allow home trials of demo carts. maybe I pay a little bit more than online, but for something that can cost more than a half decent DAC or amp etc its best to be sure I have the right one for my system.
I am not going to be rushed though, I do have a working cartridge that gives a lot of pleasure for not a lot of brass.
Andy.
Old 17th February 2014, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre65 View Post
Probably a lot better than the AT95E.
You might be very surprised what the humble AT95E is capable of in a good arm and turntable combination. Nothing in this world is certain. And a certain manufacturer with the first letter L and last letter N was very good at rebadged AT budget cartridges for around 4x the price........................ Allegedly.
Old 18th February 2014, 08:40 AM

Hi Andy, Yes, this IS Bob , I have had a Black on dem for a couple of weeks, some time ago and found it very good, but just did not compare with a Ortofon Cadenza blue, (that I use now) OK there is a big price difference. I tried very hard to convince myself that I could live with a MM, but sadly, I can not, even with a good turntable and arm (Linn LP12 SME 4). I have also tried a denon 103, but the very low output did not suit the Phono 2, very polite thought. BOB
Old 18th February 2014, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Andy, sorry yes I was replying to you Anyway what's the budget? You seem almost happy with the AT95E at £40 but the broken Rondo must have been around £400? You said funds were tight so I thought of the Denons. My DL160 you heard (sounding somewhat polite in a unipivot) was £80 before they went up but a new DL110 which sounds very good (to me) is still only £130 so perhaps set a budget then see what the choices are. Personally I think there are very fast diminishing returns in the land of hifi. I did spend £400 on a VPI cleaning machine though, which averages about £1 per secondhand record so far to clean