World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

Old 7th January 2006, 02:46 PM

Default okki nokki record cleaning machine

So five weeks after I bought the machine I actually have it - not impressed with the service.

One important page of the instructions is missing as is the mains cable. But I have plenty of mains cables and all your valuable advice from the previous BB's thread.

Many thanks to all who contributed.

Tomorrow if I am lucky, I will get on with a few practice runs and a couple of real goes at getting records pristine and beautiful again.

It seems that using the discomat washer for a good soaking and brushing and then finishing off with the okkinokki is the best way to go.
Old 7th January 2006, 04:21 PM
WD Archivist

Default Re: okki nokki record cleaning machine

Hi Andrew,

Full instructions for use are here.

http://www.wittmann-hifi.de/hifi/arc..._Manual_en.pdf

Best wishes,

Greg
Old 7th January 2006, 04:32 PM

many thanks Greg, gott'em!
Old 7th January 2006, 06:29 PM

Andrew

Out of interest where did you go to purchase the machine? 5 weeks seems an excessivly long time it should have been more like 2 to 3 days!

The machine is good for the money but I felt it was not perfect so I modified mine to improve performance by incorporating a VPI suction arm that semi-automates the vacuuming process, it uses a VPI 16.5 suction tube assembly that I purchased from the states, the improvement in performance over the OKKI NOKKI stainless steel tube is considerable I think my machine was made on a Friday because the tube never aligned correctly as there was a gap when the vacuum was switched-on to dry a record, this is now cured with the VPI tube. However, I have no complaints for £200 odd quid as I have cleaned nearly 600 LPs with no problems.

The felt pads will keep you going for 500 or so records, after that I used Moth felt pads but you will find these are too short - adequate but not perfect - so a visit to my local haberdashery was required (sorry if spelt incorrectly) the felt material purchased provided a suitable quality replacement and it was cheap!

What cleaning fluid will you be using?

Hope you get on okay.

Basil
Old 7th January 2006, 11:21 PM
WD Archivist

Hi Basil,

I don't understand your reply. What do you mean by saying there was a gap when the machine was switched on? I really don't understand why you needed to modify it with a VPI arm. What do you mean by it's introduction 'semi-automates' and improves the vacuuming process?

Original felt pads are available for a small charge from Audiofile candy although not advertised. They supplied James and I with a spare set on request for a small charge with our original order.

Best wishes,

Greg
Old 8th January 2006, 01:21 PM

okkinokki first session of seven lps.

There is a knack to this and my practice will improve; if in doubt read the instructions. It is very easy to use though, very easy, fast and relatively not messy.

I think one improvement would be a better hand held brush for the application stage.

And one could have an appalling accident if the felts on the vacuum arm were contaminated!

I used two thirds pure water and one third isoprop alc.

I will go back to pure water and car windscreen wash mix, just in the interest of experimentation.

I tried dirty records and I tried clean with a few snap crackles.

They all have improved. One still looks dirty and I think I will give it a jolly good seeing to with the discostat and then vacuum it dry.

Worn records do not get 'back to new' even though they look shiny - we may have all learned this lesson to our cost from record dealers who like vinyl to look good but is actually knackered.

so there appears much fewer snapcrackles and record surface noise has just gone,
so we like it - nice music too; Delius, Elgar, Vaughn Will, John Mayall and patty smith.
- on the goldring
Old 8th January 2006, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew ivimey
I used two thirds pure water and one third isoprop alc.
Andrew, I don't think anyone has yet proved either way whether or not IsoPropyl Alcohol damages the structure of vinyl over time, and as such, I tend to use it sparingly, and only add between 5-10% to my mix. I also use distilled or RO water like you, and I also add (per litre), the recommended amount of VPI detergent concentrate (only because I use a VPI machine though - YMMV). In theory, pure water along with a small amount of detergent should be good enough, but IMO the IPA just adds that extra touch of elbow grease to deal with stubborn dirt, such as tobacco residue and beer spils, etc. Have fun. HTH.
Old 8th January 2006, 02:43 PM

I've been toying with the Idea of a record cleaning m/c and the Okki Nokki is an excellent price how would you rate the build quality does it look like it will last.

I have been using Record research labs Super deep cleen and super vinyl wash that I imported from the USA via Galen Carol removing using microfibre cloths, this is a great cleaner and is highly recommended on the Vinyl asylum forum its now available over here via eBay at £15.99 a bottle +p+p. It sound expensive but I have only just finnished a bottle of deep cleen and have cleaned almost 200 records as it only takes about 6-8 drops per side if you use a carbon fibre brush as recommended.
Old 8th January 2006, 03:01 PM

There is an element of 'cheepnis' to the okkinokki but it works and it works well. I see no reason why it won't continue to work for years (fingers crossed)

I am off to find some really disgusting records do a discoantistat wash and then okkinokki, just to see how good both can be, when the charity shops open.

Everyone agrees that isop.alch is seriously bad for 78s.

A chap who runs a record shop in Brighton has actually, in front of me, used lighter fuel; squirt on, wipe off. I didn't buy the record, hurriedly scuttled to the back of the shop to browse the £1 bargains, of which I have had many over the years, that were in dead good nick - just not collector's items.

I wonder if loads of alcohol would damage .... could try I suppose. The ONLY problem I encountered with car windscreen wash fluid was that if the mix was too high a nasty residue was left on the record. At less than 1/3 strength it did do the job well.
Old 8th January 2006, 03:37 PM

The RRL fluids are free from any type of alchohol and can be used on 78s with no fear of damage.

I have narrowed down between the Okki Nokki and the Moth diy kit mainly because of the low price has, though I may yet build one from an old record deck and wet-dry vac to see if there is a big improvement onthe method I currently use.