World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Sources
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sources Your DIY source designs (turntables etc.)

Old 19th February 2017, 11:21 AM

Default Options on Methods of Streaming Replays

I would very much enjoy to hear about how to make the most of this "modern for me" concept of replaying music.
When I wrapped up the HiFi system a Mobile Phone was rated because of its reception.
Today for many, it is a full cinematic, Music Replay, Camera, Video
multi method communication device. A lot has changed since 2004ish.
I am being encouraged by a friend to invest in a modified CD Player.
I am OK in this idea, but am thinking a Multi Media Player may best suit my needs as to how I and the family use the internet for media downloads.
Is there a way to get a very acceptable music replay streamed through a
multi media player ?
What devices and file types would be needed to achieve this beyond a Laptop ?
Old 19th February 2017, 09:32 PM

Default Re: Options on Methods of Streaming Replays

Hi John,

This raises a few questions so that we can be clear what you are attempting to achieve and how you want to control it.

Firstly, what are you wanting to stream and from where? If you want to stream internet video for example you need a capable device. Streams can take the form of catch up TV (BBC iplayer for example) or dedicated pay services like Netflix; for movies and some TV. Alternatively you may wish to stream video such as ripped DVDs or home movies) locally from a media server; usually in combination with Networked Attached Storage (NAS). Examples include QNAP or Synology. The media servers running on these can also allow music to be played across the network. Smart TVs, some Blu-Ray players and boxes like Apple Tv allow video streaming. Many of these have SPDIF optical or co-axial outputs that could be plumbed into to an external DAC for better sound quality.

If you are only interested in audio then there a a number of options for use with NAS - Naim, Linn, Arcam, Cambridge Audio & many more provide steamers at many price points. There are dedicated music streaming services on the internet (Deezer, Spotify, Qobuz, Tidal are examples). many people use the FLAC CODEC (coder/decoder) for high quality music streaming having ripped their CD collections to NAS. Internet radio (including the BBCs high quality radio streams) is supported on many devices (applications like TuneIn radio).

As for formats, there are many for both audio and video. It is a bit of a minefield when it comes to which devices support which filetypes.

I'm not quite sure what a modified CD player means in this context, but if it includes SPDIF inputs then it could be used with one of the devices mentioned above.

To keep it short(ish) I haven't touched on bluetooth as a medium for sending music and video to other devices.

I get very good audio results from a Linn Akkurate DS and use my Panasonic TV and Oppo Blu Ray player (one of these might be the answer) for video. The Oppo is pretty good with audio too. If you are happy using a laptop, then a good USB DAC will provide decent audio. Laptops are good for supporting multiple formats, and can be plumbed to the TV using HDMI.

Many of the devices mentioned above can be controlled by a smartphone or tablet computer on the same network which is handy.

Hope that helps a little.

F.
Old 20th February 2017, 06:47 PM

Thank you all descriptions of how to achieve the media replay are appreciated.
I,m on my mobile replying so there might be a few spelling errors.
Firstly and maybe strangely, as a family we have never replayed CD through our HiFi system, there are a few in vehicle and teenager bedroom CD's in the home.
So until late 2016 there has not been a dedicated CD collection for replays.
This has changed in 2017, I have collected the CD's we own and purchased about 40 others.
The desire to listen to CD has been prompted by feeling a urgent need to have a music replay in the home.
The CD player is a Cambridge Audio Azur 540C. Loaned from a bedroom.
I have been encouraged to investigate a CD Player that I can have modified , this sounds appealing, but I was thinking good quality streamed files would offer a good substitute to a CD. I am not sure how many CD,s I want to buy, if a
FLAC or similar file is a new equal replay.
I caught wind of the Oppo BHP 105D and liked the fact it is a well received multi media replay machine, as well as it lends itself to Mods that are positively reviewed.
We as a family watch a reasonable amount of downloaded movies and like internet radio as well, all processed through a laptop. So a upgraded replay machine that has a good quality CD replay incorporated into a machine lead to the Oppo becoming a shortlisted machine.
Old 22nd February 2017, 01:02 PM

Hi John.

Glad to be of service. The Oppo BDP105 is a good machine for audio if it is a good as the one I have, a BDP 95. My machine has no HDMI ins or externally accessible DAC unlike the 105. I think shortlisting it makes good sense.

I'm sure I'm teaching you to suck eggs, but there is a difference between streaming (Tidal, Spotify etc where tracks available in real time only, needing an internet connection) and downloading (iTunes, HD Tracks & others) where you keep a downloaded copy for playback on or streaming from a local machine. Streaming services come with a monthly fee, and some offer 16/44.1 FLAC streams which should be as good as CD.

Have fun!

F.
Old 22nd February 2017, 06:58 PM

Hi Freddie
Thank you for your continued support. I am stumbling onto ideas when following up on modern replay methods.
With a good hunt, I can get CaD,s for between 50p up to a £1. These will be standard CD,s from years past, a modern release will carry a price tag very different to this.
So I was believing a download is cheaper than a CD when a up to date release is purchased. That is what I was meaning when I said, I am not sure how many CD,s I want to purchase, if a equivalent replay is available at a cheaper purchase price.
I,m glad there is support for the Oppo machines on WD.