World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > WAD > WAD General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WAD General For discussions re World Audio Design

Old 26th February 2020, 10:01 PM

Default KAT 6550 Face Plate

Hi all,

A little while back I bought the KIT6550 but ended up building it as a KAT6550. Never got around to replacing the original KIT6550 face plate for the correct KAT6550 face plate. Wondering if anyone has a spare one they are willing to sell? 🤞🙂

If so let me know. 🙏

Many Thanks,

Alex
Old 26th February 2020, 10:56 PM

Default Re: KAT 6550 Face Plate

Hello Alex,

I think John Caswell may be able to help you with this, just send him an email.

Nigel
Old 27th February 2020, 12:20 AM

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for reply. I probably should have said that I spoke to John this morning. Understand he hasn't got any left so suggested trying here or eBay. Haven't seen anything on eBay yet, keeping eyes peeled.

Cheers,

Alex
Old 18th March 2020, 04:55 PM

There was a subtle change in the brushed-ness and colour/tone of the aluminium used as well, so if you do find one and you have other WAD products it may not match either. i had that problem. The original pre/power/phono II had PHONE instead of PHONO on the pre ii..., the point was made "I paid enough for you to get this right", said with a smile, resulted in a replacement with correct wordage, but it doesn't match the rest of my kit in colour or grain or radius of corners... needless to say i still listen to my turntable on the PHONE setting, how modern!...they all appear to be hand made...i.e there was at one point a bloke in a shed somewhere, with a chop saw and drill press, who could help you.

A solution might be the front of a current WDKT88 based power amp, and wire in a blue LED for the power, to fill the tiny hole, just do it as per PreII power supply... can't guarantee the counter sunk holes will be in the right place but WD must have a supplier who does strips of 3mm thick brushed aluminium, if it doesn't say World Audio Design then a water slide could be made. The magazine or current owners of WD might be willing to offer you a high res graphic of the original logo used and any competent sign/sticker/branded workwear place should be able to reproduce it in appropriate size to be applied... get two....having applied the things to diverse vehicles, the first one applied is always a bit wonky just as the ability to SLIDE has diminished far enough to wrinkle and stretch it...

practice makes perfect

Dave

Last edited by Dave999; 18th March 2020 at 05:00 PM. Reason: I can't spel :)
Old 19th March 2020, 09:42 AM

If I remember correctly the WAD power amp face plate is not the same dimensions as the WD models, the WAD and WD Pre Phono and PSU face plates are the same. Bob