World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > The Coffee Bar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Coffee Bar Drop in for a chat or say hello if you're a new member!

Old 9th December 2022, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

Default upgrades to the system Next year

Hi All
Well, I’m thinking of some new upgrades to the system Next year in the form of CD transport and Dac and maybe speakers. budget up to around £1000.00 per item .but only one item at a time over the year
So starting with the CD transport there isn’t much to choose from here looking at the lower coasted line first comes the Audio lab CDT 6000 is one player on my thought list but it’s a box of air and the CD slot mechanisms I don’t like

I have a CD righter with this type of slot loading and it is very easy to damage the cd when loading them after a glass or three but most of the reviews are good on it see an image of inside the player here https://forum.hifiguides.com/t/help-...-stuck/11943/4 and see Paul Rigby review here https://theaudiophileman.com/6000cdt...from-audiolab/

And now for the DAC again not sure where to go just yet but leaning toward the more costly R2R Dac from Demireps the Aries 2 or the updated model of the Aries 12th version with improved front panel buttons operation and; layout plus added I2s input see here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHeRriCUnKk and all the reviews give glowing reports on this Aries 2 DAC see link here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb-O8JF24PI
My only problem with buying this DAC is buying blind as there is only one dealer I am aware of in the UK here https://www.willowtreeaudio.co.uk/denafrips-ares-ii it’s been a long time since I have shopped for hifi in dealer's demo rooms its fine for CD players and speaker etc. from my local dealer but for this Dac, I am not sure so what would you guys do and Feel free to add to this list up to £1000 as I need some more choices to add to my list thanks
Colin

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s
Other turntables AR EB101/Thorns TD150mk2/Thorns TD160mk2

If you have trouble reading my posts its because I am a dyslexic member
Old 9th December 2022, 06:20 PM

Default Re: upgrades to the system Next year

Why not try second hand Colin and broaden your choice, I have had a Musical Fidelity X-Ray for over 22 years, this was new and has never malfunctioned, what's more, it sounds as good as my friends top Naim CD, most modern stuff is only built to last a short life. Just my take on the subject. Bob
Old 9th December 2022, 08:51 PM

Is your existing CD player working ok still? And does it have an optical or electrical SPDIF output for a DAC?
If so then why not just get a DAC first to see if that improves your listening experience?
I wouldnt know what a good DAC is these days unfortunately.
I use a rega SaturnR with built in DAC features for my CD and digital listening and for my money its about as good as it gets for the price. Granted the top loading system and somewhat slower than most loading in of a disc while the player reads and checks the disc isnt to everyones liking, but its no problem for me. They'll be discontinued before too long though as I believe the unique chipsets are about to run out so what follows from the current range remains to be seen.
I intend to upgrade my system by buying more LPs.

Cheers
Andy
Old 9th December 2022, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob orbell View Post
Why not try second hand Colin and broaden your choice, I have had a Musical Fidelity X-Ray for over 22 years, this was new and has never malfunctioned, what's more, it sounds as good as my friends top Naim CD, most modern stuff is only built to last a short life. Just my take on the subject. Bob
Seconded, just check that a used item can be serviced and repaired economically, usually its the laser LED and motor units that go and they are as often as not user replaceble with a bit of knowledge and a steady hand.
Andy
Old 10th December 2022, 01:20 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerhifinut View Post
Seconded, just check that a used item can be serviced and repaired economically, usually its the laser LED and motor units that go and they are as often as not user replaceble with a bit of knowledge and a steady hand.
Andy
Hi Bob/Andy
Yep I am still using my Marantz 52SE Mk2 I got new 32 years ago blame only ever had to replace the drawer gear wheel one time it’s still running fine it is used now as a transport with various Chinese kit dacs I have the best one is the AK4396 Dac chip see First build image of it
Second-hand can be a good way bob.
But depends on where you get it from I have three in the loft that are not working now maybe should stick them back on eBay as parts not working ⚒
My Vinyl setup will stay as is now the thorns and Rega AR with the WD phono and pre
But I just think it’s time for something new in the CD transport and DAC side I like the idea of the R2R Ladder DAC there are only a couple of this type at under £1000 then they jump up in cost £2000 and up the Denafrips Aries 2 seems to be a good buy if you go with the reviews’ but not the last word in dacs not being able to listen to it is the problem though unless the UK dealer will allow some sort of arrangement with a home demo maybe will have to email him on that
Ho and some ideas on good stand mount speakers under the £1000
colin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DAC AK 4396.JPG (116.3 KB, 18 views)

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s

Last edited by colin.hepburn; 10th December 2022 at 01:48 AM. Reason: update to post
Old 12th December 2022, 07:26 PM

Just a thought Colin how about a Pink Triangle DAC, there are still a few around and the survivors usually have good caps now.
Definitely think s/h is the way to go with both CD musical fidelity, meridian (old models) are the ones I have for years with no probs.
Good luck
Martin
Old 12th December 2022, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingushome View Post
Just a thought Colin how about a Pink Triangle DAC, there are still a few around and the survivors usually have good caps now.
Definitely think s/h is the way to go with both CD musical fidelity, meridian (old models) are the ones I have for years with no probs.
Good luck
Martin
Hi Martin/all
Yep I see where your coming from with the good higher-end second-hand marker I just feel it's time for something new again my last new bit of kit from a dealer is now twenty-two years old and that’s my Nad 352C amp all the other main kit from my local dealer came from 1989/and 1992 and is still a part of my main system with the excision of the mission Cyrus one Amp and the Heybrook HB1s
So there is a yarning for some new kit now
wanting a new top loading CD transport but there’s not too many about at my budget level of about £400/650

And the DAC I like the idea of an R2R ladder DAC, not a new design but a new approach, and am drawn to the Denafraps Aries 2 for this reason Plus no built-in preamp or headphone amp just a strat Dac and it sits in my budget level and all the good reviews are pretty well balanced

here’s the spec https://www.vinshineaudio.com/produc...c?currency=EUR and the best review I have seen on it https://youtu.be/bb-O8JF24PI But it depends on the how the UK distributor works with mail order demos or not I would not buy direct
colin

Old 16th December 2022, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Col, all,

I tried 4 dacs 6 or 7 years ago and settled on a secondhand Arcam IRDAC (new and well reviewed around 2013) to use with a Squeezebox Touch. It made a noticeable difference and was better than similar priced dacs I tried so it has stayed in since. I have a Delta 70.2 CDp (heaven knows how old) with TDA1541A crown dac and SPDIF out and the new dac is at least as good so I just use that player into it as transport for CDs.

When I set up a second vintage system I just wanted SBT source for Paradise and Flac off the PC so I bought the first IRDAC that came along at a sensible price on eBay. This happened to be IRDAC II which includes Blue Tooth and a different dac chip. I don't use blue tooth, I did try it just for interest, there was a definite loss of quality but I'm sure many would find it convenient.

Anyway, comparing IRDAC and IRDAC II never happened as both sound great in the systems they're in so they've stayed that way for a few years now but I will one day! These dacs may be old hat now, I don't know, do Arcam do standalone dacs now, I don't know but these have been solid secondhand buys for anyone thinking about similar.
Old 20th December 2022, 09:02 PM

Hi Colin,

I can give you my opinion of the Audiolab CDT6000. Up until about 6 months ago, like many, I was using an old, cheap CDP as a transport. It packed in so I was faced with the dilemma of a replacement. I nearly went for getting another old player second hand but after some thought and review reading, I decided on the Audiolab. My thoughts were that a new player would fingers crossed be more reliable and also look better and be nicer to use. It always slightly irritated me, pressing the nasty cheap little buttons on the old player and hearing the draw rattling in and out. If the player sounded any better I decided that that would be a bonus.

Well, I was seriously surprised by how much better it sounded, it totally blew the old CDP into the weeds as the saying goes. Also, the old player was sounding OK before it died as I subbed in the player from my second system temporarily while deciding on the replacement and that sounded exactly the same as the dead one. All I can say is that I'm playing more CDs these days as the gap in sound between vinyl and disk has been significantly reduced.

I have had no problems with the slot loader. I saw the scratching worries online but it appeared to be just that from what I saw, some people worried but I read no reports from anyone who had actually seen any damage.

Regards, Phil.
Old 21st December 2022, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Phil/All
Thanks for the heads up on the audio lab CDT 6000, yes the reviews are all good as well my local HiFi Dealer carries it so I can go and check it out easily enough there is the CDT 9000 but at £1000 for an added USB input and a bit better looking I don’t think so
my local HiFi Delar also carries the Cambridge and Rega players so I can check them out as well with a home demonstration if he still does that
But it’s looking like the Audio lab CDT 6000 and the Denafrips Dac depend on how the UK dealer works with the after-sales etc. for the DAC.
colin