World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > WD Amplifiers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WD Amplifiers For discusson of World Designs Amplifiers

Old 4th April 2023, 12:02 PM

Default Inexpensive KEL84 Upgrade

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but I've noticed a significant improvement by replacing the ECF80s with E80CFs. I've tried Mullard and Telefunken to good effect. I'm particularly pleased with the ones in the link below at £40 the pair including postage:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275768776481?hash=item4035199721:gY4AAOSwdWRkJsV 8&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAsEQm9IBQSi6DG%2FsLCyMOLFnI2 %2FXMGeNqGcqsYdG2DPM39vBVg244rfcnVRJq5AyKQcdKQhNRV RNF0nohkoCGc0wkrGi8T2LNiuQ9ASwpZTsJE3nhNAMEOVVNM60 T1koezIAaOTutHmG0VZ%2FDy5bmenVR0HSBF3ERKd5rWyYseZm PleWaYL2PmojSaZJ%2FutWFvckFVhnu%2B8kMQOBqdotJB9gbS 94TOS5iddZOXH3p725%2F%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR66nz77pYQ
Old 4th April 2023, 12:32 PM

Default Re: Inexpensive KEL84 Upgrade

What brand were the ECF80s you replaced ?
Old 4th April 2023, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
What brand were the ECF80s you replaced ?
Hi Mark,

The Ei ones from WD. Mullard with both circular and square getters, Cossor.

Malcolm
Old 4th April 2023, 08:17 PM

I shall not respond to any more of your posts, I find you completely ignorant.
Old 4th April 2023, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

Knock it on the head Bob or I will permanently. That comment wasntotally unnecessary and extremely rude. I suggest an apology is required

John

Last edited by John Caswell; 4th April 2023 at 10:03 PM.
Old 4th April 2023, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Malcolm,
Yes this effect is quite common. Mullard's industrial valves were specially selected, vibration and knock/drop tested and then checked again before dispatch.They also benefitted from a one year warranty, unlike the standard ECF80 which was only covered for 90 days. As you may surmise they of course cost more.
If you look in the FAQ you will find I did some exhaustive tests on ECF80/E80CF as there were a lot of complaints that the voltages were all over the place. My conclusion was that it made absolutely no difference to the gain/distortion figures.
Personally I am not is a position to comment on sound differences as I now wear hearing aids, so have to rely on others ie the lady wife.

John
Old 5th April 2023, 06:59 AM

John, this is not the first time this member has completely ignored my post to him to help, I will apologise to you and all other members but not to him, as I have said, I will not post to his postings again. I do try my best to help and advise all members' if I can, but to completely ignore my post puts my back up, I hope you will see my point, and except my apology. Bob
Old 5th April 2023, 09:40 AM

I'm very sorry if I've upset you, Bob.

I've reviewed my 17 posts on the forum and, whilst I was grateful for your contributions, none of them seemed to indicate that a reply was in order.

It is, perhaps, worthy of note, that several of your previous contributions to my threads were deleted by John before I had read them.

Malcolm
Old 5th April 2023, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

Hi all,

Bob’s helped me and others out over the years and we’ve met up and had many a natter.

I’ve never actually used the E80CF so I was intrigued to learn of it from Malcolm, Mark’s question, Bob’s info about it being a special variety of ECF80 and John’s comments etc. Many readers will have found the thread interesting and it’s a shame posts have been deleted and there has been upset.

The bulletin board “bb” is an inanimate message board. Post a polite message and don’t expect any reply or thanks (much like the rest of life ). If you get them it may be nice but don’t take offence if no-one replies, it may have helped other readers anyway.

If someone has replied it’s polite to thank them. Sometimes you’ll get several replies so address your thanks to “everyone” or “all”.
Old 5th April 2023, 10:06 AM

Thanks Richard,

I’ve apologised to Bob in my previous posting and hope that he is gracious enough to accept so that we can all move on.

I’ve been a member of the Pink Fish Media forum for 15 years and have made almost 5,000 posts in that time without encountering any bad feeling.