World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > WD Amplifiers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WD Amplifiers For discusson of World Designs Amplifiers

Old 19th April 2023, 11:25 AM

Default Re: Inexpensive KEL84 Upgrade

Thank you, just fitted mine, replacing my National E80CF made in USSR with these made in Mitham 1978 Mullard. A very nice upgrade. Very good service from seller. The EL84s I use are also Mullards.
Old 8th May 2023, 08:14 PM

Hi Malcolm, did you compare the 6n14 valves with the standard EL84s? I have recently picked up my “new” kel84 - one that Bob built a long time ago - and am planning to tinker with it in due course

Adrian
Old 9th May 2023, 06:11 PM

Be very careful about using "genuine" Mullard/Phillips EL84.
We're in an era of people palming any old worn out Valve off on eBay etc at extortionate prices.
They're all likely to be "pulls" from old Radios etc and of unknown lifespan.
Bunged in a KEL84 which really takes the EL84 to its reasonable working limits and you could be asking for trouble. Likewise "NOS" at a commensurately unaffordable price Could well be rejects put back in the box and not returned to the factory. This happens.
I've had countless Allegedly NOS Mullard ECC83 pack in on me and that reinforces my suspicions. This was before the market got silly.

In my view the JJ valves as supplied are good devices. The Russian 6P14 and its "ruggedised" brother the 6P14EV used to be great value but for various reasons the supply has now dried up and they have a price to match. I found they were no more robust than any other EL84 in reality. If the impossible happens and the Unpleasantness between Russia and Ukraine is resolved, we may see supplies of ex Soviet era valves be freely available at reasonable prices again. I won't hold my breath.

I'm going to be controversial here, I innocently bought a full set of the chinese "Golden Dragon" ECC83 and EL84/6BQ5 (PM components brand name) for a Stereo20 refurbishment. I subsequently found out that Chinese valves were regarded as very inferior and poor quality.
But they have lasted where others failed, and the amp sounds as good with those as it does with any other brands I have used.

Andy
Old 10th May 2023, 09:44 AM

Another Chinese valve worth checking out is Shuguang which are reasonably priced. I haven't tried their EL84 but I use their EL34 - B in KEL34 (after hearing a set in a friend's Ming Da), very quiet, detailed, transparent etc. They are definitely better than the JJs I previously had.

If what I'm hearing is colouration, then bring on the whole rainbow
Old 11th May 2023, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddam View Post
Hi Malcolm, did you compare the 6n14 valves with the standard EL84s? I have recently picked up my “new” kel84 - one that Bob built a long time ago - and am planning to tinker with it in due course

Adrian
Hi Adrian,
If by 'standard EL84s' you mean the JJ ones that WD supply, then I haven't compared with them. I asked for the two KEL84 kits that I've built to be supplied without valves. I have compared various sets of 6n14s, Mullards, and Golden Dragons and have settled on the 6n14s.

Malcolm