World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > WD Amplifiers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WD Amplifiers For discusson of World Designs Amplifiers

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2nd August 2023, 06:54 PM

Default WAD KEL84 upgrade suggestions

Hi all
I recently bought a KEL84 integrated, which Bob Orbell once owned. It looks great and sounds ok, but is a long way short of the richness I had with a previous KEL84 wired as a power amp, using a WAD Phono II and Pre II (as cathode follower). The sound is clean but thin, albeit that I did not run it in for very long (I just wanted to check all was ok after purchase, and have not used it since).

I am now about to start on the upgrade path. I will keep it as an integrated for now. I plan to change the PS caps from 100uF to much higher, but how high is advisable. In my old KEL84 power amp I belive the 3 caps were all rated at 470uF after upgrading the 100uFs but I may be wrong. I don't need boutique caps here, just low ripple low ESR caps of a decent quality. Any suggestions?

I will then do the pseudo shunt mod on the volue pot using, probably, a 47K carbon film (Kiwame I expect as I always liked them when tweaking in the past).

Orange drop caps to follow (2 x 0.22uF and 1 x 0.47uF per channel). From various cap reviews/shoot-outs I expect to go for Jantzen Superiors as a cost effective upgrade, but will start with by-passing the orange drops with Cornell 0.01uF.

This is a long-winded intro to a question: which resistors and caps are most critical to upgrade? The cct diag is (I hope) attached to this message.

Any views gratefully received. I appreciate that I have been here before with a KEL84 and that some here will have answered similar questions in the pst, so apologies for putting people to any trouble. I have searched the WD forum and found some answers, but not to the Qs above

ANY INFO at all gratefully received (on brands, vaues, etc).

Best wishes

Adrian
Attached Files
File Type: pdf KEL84 cct diag.pdf (244.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: pdf KEL84 PS cct diag.pdf (221.4 KB, 14 views)