World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

Old 10th August 2009, 12:11 AM

Default FLAC to Cd converter?

I want to explore the world of online, uncompressed music and have found that FLAC has become the standard of choice. Fine, but I need to get the music into my stereo by tradtional (ie non PC) means. I looked up converters on Google and was immediately overwhelmed with pages of stuff that, not being a teenage boy (hardly!!!) i couldn't understand.
Any recommendations for a free trial, minimal cost to register program that will convert FLAC into something my DVD player/DAC will recognize. I have "Quiet Nights" by MS Krall loaded into Azeurus - err, sorry, apparently thats "Vuse" now - ready to go.

Thanks all,

Hal55

(Gee, crickets all square, lets hope the 5th test is a blinder)
Old 10th August 2009, 07:19 AM

Default Re: FLAC to Cd converter?

Hi

Install FLAC

http://flac.sourceforge.net/

and FLAC frontend

http://members.home.nl/w.speek/flac.htm

Then you can use these to uncompress flac files and burn the resulting .WAV files to CD with your burning software.

Mark
Old 3rd September 2009, 12:51 PM
sonDinak

Burrrn supports burning CDs from cuesheets directly from many formats, including FLAC, and supports most tag formats.
http://www.burrrn.net/?page_id=4
Old 17th September 2009, 10:31 AM

You could try http://audacity.sourceforge.net

I use FLAC all the time and the quality is fantastic, although it uses a bit more space than mpg. I use Linux where there is no shortage of FLAC features but a lot of other applications are also available for windows - yuk! - such as Audacity
Old 18th September 2009, 09:07 AM

I use exact audio copy to burn FLACs from CD. I believe it does the reverse as well although I've never tried it.

http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

Pete
Old 18th September 2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chivvyp View Post
I believe it does the reverse as well although I've never tried it.
Tried it. It doesn't !

Chris

You can't take it with you when you go !
Old 1st January 2010, 01:25 AM

If I can ask a further question on this - I now have a shiny new PC that has a digital out (optical) on the back so it is no longer necessary to burn files to a CD, I can now just link the PC to DAC and hopefully play stuff straight of the hard drive. This changes my original question since at that stage I thought I'd have to burn everything from PC to CD and use the DVD player and DAC.
In the last few months has a program emerged that is a clear easy to use favourite, that decodes flac for a DAC, and provides a simple interface like media player (which I don't particularly like) or Irfanview?
The old PC became so flaky at the end of it's life that I never went ahead doing this, the current quad core one is so much faster it makes good wife and I wonder why we persevered with it so long.

Hal55
Old 1st January 2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal55 View Post
If I can ask a further question on this - I now have a shiny new PC that has a digital out (optical) on the back so it is no longer necessary to burn files to a CD, I can now just link the PC to DAC and hopefully play stuff straight of the hard drive. This changes my original question since at that stage I thought I'd have to burn everything from PC to CD and use the DVD player and DAC.
In the last few months has a program emerged that is a clear easy to use favourite, that decodes flac for a DAC, and provides a simple interface like media player (which I don't particularly like) or Irfanview?
The old PC became so flaky at the end of it's life that I never went ahead doing this, the current quad core one is so much faster it makes good wife and I wonder why we persevered with it so long.

Hal55
I quite like Foobar2000. It doesn't require a huge amount of processing to run, and it's very flexible.

Winamp will also do FLAC, but it is more of a resource hog.

Chris

You can't take it with you when you go !