World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Amplifiers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Amplifiers Your DIY amplifier designs

Old 8th May 2019, 09:37 PM

Default Pre 3 tape out issue ?

Just finished building my new interconnects and headphone cable.

I’m running a headphone feed from the Pre 3 tape out into the headphone amp (Graham Slee unit).

When I connect my headphones to the headphone amp I get sound through the headphones, however it also comes out of the speakers

Bit unsure what’s going on - bear in mind it’s late here and I’ve had a long day, am I missing something simple like the input selector knob being on the wrong setting ?

The input interconnects are all correctly wired up to the correct rca sockets on the back of the Pre3 and the tape out goes into the headphone amp input.

Cheers

Jonny
Old 8th May 2019, 10:28 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Pre 3 tape out issue ?

Errr turn the volume control down to zero on the pre 3, this will, not affect the tape output feed
The tape output feed is the selected input "stood off" ie isolated from the selected input by 1KΩ.

John
Old 8th May 2019, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Jonny,

As far as I know Tape In is selectable but Tape Out is always connected in parallel to the selected source input and is not affected by the volume control.

Thus the Tape Out sockets put out the same level as the source unaffected by Pre3 volume control.

So to play a CD only through the head phones, you'd connect Tape out to the headphone amp and headphones, fully wind down the volume control on Pre3, and use the volume on the headphone amp.
Old 9th May 2019, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Hi Jonny,

As far as I know Tape In is selectable but Tape Out is always connected in parallel to the selected source input and is not affected by the volume control.

Thus the Tape Out sockets put out the same level as the source unaffected by Pre3 volume control.

So to play a CD only through the head phones, you'd connect Tape out to the headphone amp and headphones, fully wind down the volume control on Pre3, and use the volume on the headphone amp.
Of course !

Works a treat - many thanks 😎