World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

Old 10th April 2007, 02:04 PM

Default record cleaning machines

hi all, So i'm about to invest in a record cleaning machine. I like what I've read about the Moth RCM ll, as a kit it's not a bad price. There's also the okki nokki witch is a little cheaper and comes fully built. Even with the price difference and the fact i have to do some diy with the Moth I'd probably choose it over the okki nokki if it was a better quality machine. Does any one have any experiance with these machines?
Gerome.
Old 10th April 2007, 05:03 PM

Default Re: record cleaning machines

Quite a few of us here, Gerome, use Okki Nokki. They are as easy to use as can be and do a good job.
Old 10th April 2007, 05:53 PM

Hi

I built one of those Moth RCM, for me it was to noisy in use, on that basis I wouldn’t recommend one.

Regards
Old 10th April 2007, 05:55 PM

I have an Okki Nokki and I'm pleased with its perfomance although it is the only RCM I've used.

The thing that put me off the Moth machine is the tiny platter as it doesn't support the record just holds it at the label area plus the fact that the Okki Nokki comes ready built.
Old 10th April 2007, 06:59 PM

I too am thinking of a cleaning machine. The Clearaudio Smart Matrix looked good, until the chap at Black Pearls here in Germany http://stores.ebay.de/BLACK-PEARLS_R...QQftidZ2QQtZkm told me that it is mechanically identical to the Okki Nokki, the only difference being the lid on the Clearaudio. It's also made by Clearaudio in Germany. He also tells me that the Okki Nokki is no longer a noisy beast, so I think I shall be getting one of those.

I hope this helps.
Old 10th April 2007, 09:17 PM
WD Archivist

I have joint ownership of an Okki Nokki. It does everything we need well. Petercom will vouch for that as I cleaned some of his albums a couple of years ago. As for noise, it's a vacuum cleaner for goodness sake. They are noisey. I hate it when the missus gets the Dyson out which is the noisiest of all. What's a bit of noise when you end up with a clean LP? We originally were going for the Moth but with the lower price and no construction we are very happy to have settled more cheaply for the Okki Nokki which does have a 12 inch platter that is very good to press on when you have a particularly cruded LP that needs deep cleaning. Method is also important. Really dirty discs need more than the instructions suggest including a good slightly stiff brush that will get into the grooves. No damage caused and many LP's regarded as scrap can be recovered and playable.

Best wishes,

Greg
Old 10th April 2007, 09:22 PM

If you want a quiet RCM save up for a Locricraft, otherwise get some headphones.
Old 10th April 2007, 09:52 PM

Hi

I have a VPI HW 16.5. It's well built with a proper turntable which supports the full diameter of the LP, I believe that this is important as cleaning some very dirty records does require a fair bit of scrubbing pressure from the cleaning brush.

It is a bit noisy when vacuuming the fluid from the record surface, but this is not really a problem as the record is vacuumed dry in two revolutions of the turntable.

I make my own cleaning fluid from a mixture of 66% distilled water, 33% isopropyl alcohol and 1% of non iononic surfactant (actually just a few drops of surfactant)

IMHO well worth the investment.

Martin
Old 10th April 2007, 11:17 PM

Having owned a Loricraft PRC3 I can vouch for it’s quietness it does take a little longer in operation though, while noise is relative I think a better description of the moth I had would be horrendous.

Regards
Old 11th April 2007, 11:42 AM

I use the okki nokki machine, although it's cheap compaired to some, I think it does a good job.
records come back from the brink of the bin to be clean and playable.