Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Loudspeakers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Loudspeakers Your DIY Speaker designs

Old 4th May 2007, 04:13 PM

Default Merrill Zigmahornet

Hi,
Merrill Zigmahornet review on 6moons:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/z...gmahornet.html

Anyone seen or heard this? Quite cheap so I might give it a go.
Old 4th May 2007, 06:18 PM

Default Re: Merrill Zigmahornet

The Zigmahornet enclosure is a moderatley well-known DIY design that's been around for about 10 years. The original plans, designed by, and hosted for all to use, were on the old Audionova site. I've attached them below. As you can see, they're not too clear, so Dave has done a much better CAD set which you'll find here: http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeaker...ornet-plan.gif

And this is Andrew Braddon's write up of his pair, which he built about 6 years ago, on the Single Driver Site: http://melhuish.org/audio/DIYTQ12.html

The Zigs' do pretty well, all things considered. Push the driver a bit too hard for my liking, but I built a pair a few years back and they certainly image like little else. 0 bass, as you'd expect of course.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sheep_trick2.jpg (9.1 KB, 52 views)
Old 5th May 2007, 03:55 PM

Hi Scottmoose,
Thought I had seen a few versions of this cabinet around the net. Want a single driver speaker and not sure which way to go - must be suitable for front room etc.
Thanks for the info - v. helpful!
Old 5th May 2007, 05:09 PM

If you can specify exactly what you're hoping to achieve we can help you zero in on something that should suit your requirments quite quickly. There are some very knowledgeable people on this forum. Quick questions:

1) What size / aesthetic limitations do you have?
2) What size room are the speakers going in, is it 'live' or 'dead', how far from the speakers do you sit, and how far off-axis will you be, if you can't toe them in
3) What do you listen to?
4) What sonic attibutes do you value most / prefer -bass depth, imaging, midrange clarity etc.
5) What's the rest of your system like?
Old 7th May 2007, 08:03 PM

Hi Toride,

I knocked together a pair of FE103 Ziggies last year for a third system in the cellar. Pretty much as Scott describes them, ruthless imaging, they have some subtle bass, just not floor shaking. Sounds fantastic on cello's though.

Scott has twisted my arm into putting them in the car for Eggfest on the Sunday, so there may be a chance to listen to them with a decent amp.

Simon C
Old 8th May 2007, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
Particularily what amp?

I'm trying to talk Dave Merrill out of a pair of these drivers so that i can see if there is anything to the buzz. (his literature is very unprofessional, and i'm good at making lit)

dave
Old 8th May 2007, 11:25 AM

Be interesting to get your views Dave.

I love the picture in that 6moons review showing two acoustic guitars, one positioned beside each speaker. I actually like that idea -I've done it myself in the past. Oddly enough, particularly good for John Williams et al.
Old 8th May 2007, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

Hi all
I am going for the Dave's little frugal horns I am just trying to find someone who can build them for me my woodwork skills is not too good but seeing this Zigmahornet I think even I could build these
is there a version for FE126 as I already have this driver or could you model one room size 15ftx10.6ftx8.9ft speaker firing across room semi dead amp will be single ended seating center about 6/7ft back I favor depth, imaging, midrange with bass that wont dominate the room music is blues/jazz variants
Thanks
Colin

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s
Other turntables AR EB101/Thorns TD150mk2/Thorns TD160mk2

If you have trouble reading my posts its because I am a dyslexic member
Old 8th May 2007, 03:30 PM

Q & Xmax on the 126 are a bit low for this sort of load. I'll have a look & see if there's anything I can come up with when I get a spare minute.
Old 8th May 2007, 04:04 PM

Hi Scott, Dave,
Thanks for offer of help. Please see answers below (tried to be brief but didn’t really succeed – apologies for ‘going on’!)

1) What size / aesthetic limitations do you have?

Roughly about 1.2 m would be max height. Open baffle might be ok because they aren’t too deep but they will probably be quite wide and this might raise an eyebrow. Shadow’s Fostex FE108EZ based speakers (posted on Zerogain) received favourable comments... “Why can’t you get some speakers like that’ etc

2) What size room are the speakers going in, is it 'live' or 'dead', how far from the speakers do you sit, and how far off-axis will you be, if you can't toe them in

Room is 2 rooms knocked into 1, about 6 m long in total – main part is about 4.5 m by 4 m.
I suppose room is ‘medium live’ – floors are stripped wood – but floor is quite dead with little ‘bounce’. Sit on axis about 2 m from speakers. Speakers currently on either side of where the fireplace would be – just in front of the alcoves. However, a fireplace is arriving soon so will have to move somewhere else in the room - yet to be negotiated.

3) What do you listen to?

Most things really, except orchestral classical (no offence to fans of large orchestral pieces). Emphasis on electronic/experimental, folk (lots of guitar, mandolin, banjo, autoharp (!?) etc), rock, country, African (variety), some jazz

4) What sonic attributes do you value most / prefer -bass depth, imaging, midrange clarity etc.

I want to hear detail (micro – how songs are being sung, how instrument is being played), tone colour and texture especially in the midrange, immediacy (dynamics?), imaging – especially depth, also vocal separation in harmony parts. Not asking a great deal then! Scale and bass depth would be nice but realise have to compromise.

I’m happy with current system ( ) but want to try a couple of tube amp kits in the 8W to 16 W range and don’t think they will drive current speakers. Don’t have workshop but I should be just about able to build something simple (not ideal but managed to make IPL M3tl from kit on kitchen/living room floor).

Happy to knock something up to see if I like the sound (is there a generic single driver sound?!) - but also quite happy to buy something if I like it in the long run.

Currently:
> LP and CD sources
> passive preamp (Dave Slagle AVC or Lightspeed)
> AKSA LifeForce 55W SS amp
> VMPS 626R speakers (although a stand mount, they’re not a small speaker, as I’m routinely reminded … )

Thanks again!