World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Is what it is all about

Old 27th April 2006, 07:55 PM

Default Re: Dark Side of the Moon, again....

AFAIK, a lot of lathes used a digital delay to allow automatic control of the lead screw that advanced the head, so each turn of the grove was far enough away from the last one.

If by any chance its not prior art, then the copyright is retained by me.
Old 28th April 2006, 12:13 PM

The SQ version with Alan Parson's Quad mix is staggering. JG should hang his head in shame. However, to fully appreciate it, you need either a Audionics Space & Image Composer, or a Fosgate Labs Tate II 101a decoder (no, I'm not selling mine!). And two stereo amps. And a couple of line-matching transformers. And two pairs of the best full-range speakers you can lay your hands on. So I'd stick with a good original or one of the many reissues.

Best
Scott
Old 29th April 2006, 05:57 PM

Having had most if not all the vinyl versions of DSOTM the best IMHO were the original release and the Mobile Fidelity pressing which now sells for silly money but is very good indeed.
The EMI 100 release was not anywhere near as good but did come with a super poster of naked girls sitting by a swimming pool with the various Pink Floyd record covers painted or projected on to their backs. I've got a copy somewhere and if I can find it I'll scan it and post it on here.
The original Electric Ladyland was not as Hendrix had intended, at the beginning of the first track there was an experiment to make it sound like surround sound but when the engineers heard it they thought it had been screwed up and unscrewed it. It was corrected on the second pressing but the best issue and as far as I'm aware the only issue made from the original master tapes was the Classic reissue and again it is startlingly good.