World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

Old 26th April 2007, 01:17 PM

Default Re: To all those born in 40s, 50,s 60,s

It seems that what everyone is talking about here is down to an evaluation of risk.

When the Empire State Building was built the scructural workers had no safety nets, harnesses or anything else (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:O...ral_worker.jpg). Some of these guys fell to their deaths. It was considered a risk of the job. One of the scariest pictures I know is the one shown below.

Living in the country in my youth I left home after breakfast and returned for tea. Was my mum worried? Probably. But the risk was considered acceptable.

In the '50s we left front doors unlocked when we went out. Crime hadn't made it to rural areas in the same way as the city. Churches were left open all the time. The risk was considered acceptable.

Our media now puts death and destruction in front of us whenever possible as 'news'. So we have become protective of what we have. We worry about burglary, child molestation, traffic and disease. The risks are becoming unacceptable.

As our population increases then, yes, we are more at risk of damage to our health and property from all these things. Yet the statistics show that most personal harm is likely to come from an immediate family member, that most accidents occur in the home. We don't think about that risk.

As for obesity I agree with others that the lack of exercise is part of the problem. But I remember that when I started visiting China and Japan in the '90s I noticed how thin everyone was. Then they got the fast food bug. Now the Japanese are starting to see an obesity problem, and the Chinese are quickly catching up.

The biggest single problem is that we are all now so 'protected' from anything that might possibly harm us that there is no personal admission of fault any more. If we fall over it is the carpet layer's 'fault', if we cut ourselves it's the knife designer's 'fault', if we gain weight it's the fast food manufacturer's 'fault'.

What has happened to our sense of personal responsibility?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lgmp0083.jpg (36.2 KB, 52 views)
Old 26th April 2007, 02:03 PM

True. Very true. And no-one is allowed to 'fail' anymore either. Instead, we have 'deferred success'. Pathetic isn't it.

That's got me thinking though... perhaps I should have blamed the designer of the chair I walked into a couple of weeks back for my broken bones? Do you think I should claim compensation?
Old 26th April 2007, 02:11 PM

Peters pics show why trade unions became so necessary. Unfortunately by the late 70s they had gone too far the other way. I also remember being told as a kid what happens in America happens here 10 years later. Look at 'ambulance chasing' legal firms and the so-called 'compensation culture'. I remember in the 80s reading about this stuff in my Dads paper with Dermot Purgavies column about America and wondering about the future! Also Health & Safety paranoia, amongst other well-intentioned Brussels backed legislation (see the human rights act versus potential terrorism intelligence gathering) has been the ott offshoot of this. Firms cannot afford to be sued so we've gone too far the other way again. Also from America there's obesity, black-on-black gang killings, suburban areas taken over by druggies. I was a skinny kid in the 70s/early 80s too, out all hours, drinking Corporation pop, dreaming of visits to Nan & Grandad when we'd eat like Kings. A visit to the chippie was a big treat.
Old 26th April 2007, 03:22 PM

yes, its amazing how far apart our notions of perceived risk are from the real risks involved.
much of it inspired by sensationalism in the media - but guess what sells papers - we seem to like to read about stuff that drives our insecurities.
and i think personal responsibility is a necessary ingredient to the maturation process. by being over protected we loose an important driving force in our development
at least thats my excuse for my imaturity - i'm a victim of the system, gov, none of it's my fault !
Old 26th April 2007, 11:48 PM
Will Cowen

the photo posted by Peter
http://wduk.worldomain.net/forum/att...1&d=1177589823
Is a well known montage if yer in the know.
Old 27th April 2007, 01:23 PM

Even so it is an illustration of what went on at the time. There are plenty of movies showing structural workers walking along open girders at these heights.

Life was considered adventurous and 'cheap' right up until the 1900s. It took the First World War (and its included concept of 'cannon fodder') to shock people into what a mass sense of loss death and injury inflicts on a nation. The Second World War and the Blitz brought the worry over personal loss to a head and started to cement in society the view that human life was not to be disposed of lightly.

But there is a difference between society (and/or the state) looking after its members and a government that 'over-protects' its public through legislation (the nanny state). Take the latter too far and you end up with the situation in the USA where there are no 'accidents' any more - anyone can be sued for making an innocent mistake or omission.
Old 27th April 2007, 02:07 PM

a lot of this is down to changes in values i think

in the not too distant past there were things that individuals in our society looked up to/respected/saw as more important than themselves or other individuals. (king,country,church,god,family,society,etc)

now that has largely changed and the individual and his/her rights seem to have gained priority over all else. most of our decisions are now based on what we want ( often whims) rather than having any sense of duty or contributing to something we veiw as more worthy than ourselves

this has good and bad aspects. we are likely to be more free thinking but more selfish. we no longer have to fear being outcast from society for breaking codes like 'living in sin'.