World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

Old 19th October 2007, 12:49 PM

Question Cartridge Choice

I have just, last night, written off my Denon DL304 MC Cartridge.
The cantilver now sticks out of the body at about 45 degrees! Moral of this story is stick to your CD collection when you are a bit ****ed!

I am thinking of buying an Audio Technica AT-OC9ML/II Cartridge as its replacement.

Has any body tried one? Any good?

Thanks, Gerry
Old 19th October 2007, 07:20 PM

Default Re: Cartridge Choice

both good, personally preferred the denon.

get the at from america, if you can't find it, I will have a look, arond £150
Old 19th October 2007, 11:44 PM

I have a denon dl304 I bought earlier this year which I don't like - make a (not too silly offer) and its yours.

I guess its had about 10 hrs use at most - tried to pursuade myself it needed to be run in but really just didn't like it and went back to my dynavector 10x5.

Also happy to swap it for a reasonable moving magnet cartridge or what have you.

Mel
Old 20th October 2007, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycleallday View Post
I have a denon dl304 I bought earlier this year which I don't like - make a (not too silly offer) and its yours.

I guess its had about 10 hrs use at most - tried to pursuade myself it needed to be run in but really just didn't like it and went back to my dynavector 10x5.

Also happy to swap it for a reasonable moving magnet cartridge or what have you.

Mel
You got PM.
Old 20th October 2007, 09:18 AM

Gerryaji,
out of curiosity, exactly how did you naff your cartridge - was it lowering it negligently onto the LP or, at end of side?

Either way, that's why I love the semi-automatic arm on my Kenwood TT, every time someone does naff a cartridge it just re-inforces the logic of semi-automatic arm action.

There is absolutely no reason why all arms should'nt have this option, no matter what their type, OK you pay more initially but it would pay for itself in peace of mind as well as not having to replace cartridges.

I guess most if not all who use this forum are fully mobile and some will have a blindspot about those less fortunate. I am (I think) just about getting over a trapped Sciatic nerve problem. To understand the pain this involves and how you have to brace yourself for pain at the slightest movement is only understandable from those who have ever suffered from this affliction.

When I have mentioned in the past how marvellous it is not to have to get out of a chair quickly at end of side or some other problem in TT operation it has been scoffed at.

Always by those who cannot see beyond their own current mobility - guess what, for all those who think like that - your going to get old, your going to get health conditions, as you get older you will lose mobility. In all areas of my life I like to plan ahead, to have a bit of vision - the s/automatic arm is a winner and now I know for sure - next up a remote controlled pre-amp.
Old 20th October 2007, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryajl View Post
I have just, last night, written off my Denon DL304 MC Cartridge.
The cantilver now sticks out of the body at about 45 degrees! Moral of this story is stick to your CD collection when you are a bit ****ed!

I am thinking of buying an Audio Technica AT-OC9ML/II Cartridge as its replacement.

Has any body tried one? Any good?

Thanks, Gerry
I like the Audio Technica AT-OC9 (my dad's got one) very clean sound with low surface noise. Bright for some tastes.
I'm not too keen on any of the Denon cart's, although many on the forum like them.

Any of the new Ortofon's both MM and MC are worth a look too.

I currently use a Dynavector 20xH (high output for MM stages) which I think could be better in low output version (for MC stages).
Not as lively or super detailed as many MC's, but with a more rounded full rich sound more typical of a top end MM (probably all that wire in the coils).
Unlike Denon high output cart's (which sound dark and recessed) it actually sounds very good (Of course DL304 is low output).
Old 22nd October 2007, 10:00 AM

Hi Stuart I Know all aboout Sciatic problems I boldged 3 discs in my spine and put my hip joint out 1 inch. I did not go near my TT for about 6 months because I could not move. I do not know what was worse not playing vynal or not sleeping. 4 years later Im still awake at 2-4am in the morning.
P.S I have just turned 40 I hate to Know what it will be like when im 60.

Regards Ian.