World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Sources
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sources Your DIY source designs (turntables etc.)

Old 17th October 2007, 11:12 AM

Default Re: silicone damping fluid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shian7 View Post
Oh, you mean (CH3)3SiO[SiO(CH3)2]nSi(CH3)

yeah, it's common stuff

DTB
Old 17th October 2007, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

Hi All,

As you probably guess, the thickness of the fluid depends on the system used. The Formula 4 is very simple with very little mechanical leverage on the damping. There's no paddle to resist movement, just the pivot pin itself moving within the fluid. Hence the silicone was VERY heavy - it would not spill - and you simply changed the level in the cup to change the amount of damping. It was almost a grease and probably a small amount of the silicone grease RS sell in tubes for a couple of pounds would do the job. I have some Servisol brand here and would give it a go.

My other exp with damping was the add-on damper for the SME3009. That was quite different with a paddle in a trough near side of the pivot. The fluid was about car engine oil weight. I'm not sure if there was more than one different paddles thinking about it.

Using even greater mechanical advantage the Rock deck put the trough near side of the cartridge and the fluid was very thin. Seen many but not had one, always looked a bit of a faff to use, but many people loved them.

I think the only downside to using a petroleum oil or grease might be long term degradation of any plastic parts.

Rich
Old 17th October 2007, 02:20 PM

I've completely mucked up my Decca u/p with this heavy damping fluid, it no longer wobbles but it also no longer plays LP's either Oooppss.

The fluid seems to affected the 103's ability to track the grooves near the middle of an LP and I've got a major increase in vinyl roar/surface noise, boo.

I'm going to have to strip the arm down and remove it, doh.

DTB
Old 17th October 2007, 02:51 PM

Hi DTB-its not silicone you need (leave that for the breast implants).

This is the secret formula.

Philip
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Damping fluid.jpg (58.6 KB, 21 views)

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 17th October 2007, 02:54 PM

I'm not letting that any where near my Decca, looks what it's done to that poor likkle lion

DTB
Old 17th October 2007, 04:35 PM

Yeah!!!...Its given it fleas

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
broken again - still it's there:
the moon on the water.

- Choshu.
Old 27th October 2007, 09:14 PM

UPDATE.

After sulking and listening to CD's for a while the Decca u/p is now working again. Huzah!

The arm wires were causing the miss-tracking, they were disturbed (by me) when I was looking into the pivot cup to see if the silicone fluid was in there. The result was they weren't sitting correctly and caused all manner of tracking prob's both vertical and lateral. Huge great thick wire's aren't doing it any favours I know and maybe I should replace them one day.

Anyway, the fab thing is...after being away from it for 6 days on a short break the fluid seems to actually be doing it's job. It's sounds good again (though I wouldn't say it's deffo miles better than before I started buggering around with it!) and the the arm doesn't wobble around like it used too.

Happier bunny now

DTB
Old 27th October 2007, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave the bass View Post
UPDATE.

After sulking and listening to CD's for a while the Decca u/p is now working again. Huzah!

The arm wires were causing the miss-tracking, they were disturbed (by me) when I was looking into the pivot cup to see if the silicone fluid was in there. The result was they weren't sitting correctly and caused all manner of tracking prob's both vertical and lateral. Huge great thick wire's aren't doing it any favours I know and maybe I should replace them one day.

Anyway, the fab thing is...after being away from it for 6 days on a short break the fluid seems to actually be doing it's job. It's sounds good again (though I wouldn't say it's deffo miles better than before I started buggering around with it!) and the the arm doesn't wobble around like it used too.

Happier bunny now

DTB
Glad the decca is working betta.

This whole damping thing is something I've played with over the years and formed contradictory opinions about.

I have a mission 774 (original version), bought in 1982, which has a trough into which you can add damping fluid and a range of paddles you can use to alter the effects of the damping.

I've varied this, changed that, use different fluids, swapped the paddles around and come to a conclusion.

In this arm a variety of cartridges sound different depending on the damping applied. At first I was very convinced of the improvements that damping brought to a range of ortofon and dynavector cartidges. However as I improved the rest of the system some of these 'improvements' were better when reversed!

Currently I run no damping and put up with the odd bit of bad behaviour from a cartridge because the greater sense of life is more important. Tomorrow I may feel differently.

I don't think this is any help to any one but I feel better having shared my frustrations that the the physical process of damping 'out of band' vibrations had all sorts of effects on the wanted 'in band' vibrations from the stylus.

I suppose the only advice I'd offer is try a little, if you like it try a little more until you get the best result for you, if not try something else!

Jerry