World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

Old 2nd January 2010, 06:35 PM

Default Hi Fi News test recording

I've set up my turntable and have run the test record.

On side 1, track 6 - bias setting (300Hz tone L+R at +12dB) I get an even sound from the speakers.

As soon as I go on to track 7 - bias setting (300Hz tone L+R at +14dB) I get a buzzing from the right hand speaker (needless to say, I haven't tried track 8!). I also get the same problem on the tracking ability tracks (300Hz L+R at +15dB) on side 2 of the LP.

If I change the anti skate settings (I'm running an RB300 with Slate Audio modifications - I think this means Litz wiring and a metal stub), the buzzing doesn't go away.

Is this something I should worry about, and can anyone suggest cures?

Many thanks and happy new year.

Phil
Old 2nd January 2010, 09:18 PM
WD Archivist

Default Re: Hi Fi News test recording

Hi Phil,

These tracks are designed to help you get the best you can from your arm. They help you set up the anti-skate properly and the ideal is no buzz whatsoever although you'll be lucky to achieve that on a RB300 as you have found. Remember on a RB300 you have tracking force and VTA adjustment and these can influence the tracking performance so, depending on how pedantic (in a nice way!) you are, adjusting all three at the same time can bring the best result. When you've found the best you can acheive, use the buzzing track to get balance with anti-skate adjustment so that buzz is the lowest you can make it and is equal on both channels. Don't let the results unsettle you. The RB300 is after all still a budget arm regardless of tweaking and what you hear on the test record will not be replicated when playing normal recordings which will when the arm is set up to the best possible, sound marvellous

Regards,

Greg
Old 2nd January 2010, 10:55 PM

Default Re: Hi Fi News test recording

Hi Greg

Thanks for your input yet again, I really appreciate it.

I've never set up an arm or deck from scratch before, so this is all quite new to me, but very exciting. With the RB300 being a low spec quality arm (if that makes sense!), I won't worry about the buzzing for the time being seeing as how everything else gives very good results, especially playing music!

Originally I thought of selling the RB300 and trying to afford a better arm, but problems with my car (Italian car but poorly engineered German parts!) put paid to that idea. It was while researching my options I discovered that Origin Live arms are based on the RB250/300 and they get very good reviews, so I decided to use my RB300 and I will upgrade to one of the OL arms in the future when funds allow.

Phil