World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Is what it is all about

Old 17th March 2006, 11:55 PM

Default Re: Charity Shop Bargain?

Fred

Masterdisk was/is an American mastering outfit who were pretty highly regarded in the 1980s. Their work can be heard on other LPs from the same era such as "H2O" by Hall & Oates and "The Nightfly" by Donald Fagen.

What the Masterdisk lettering means is that you have probably got one of the first generation pressings from the original metalwork.

Subsequent copy masters for expanded European distribution if the record sold well were often made at "RS Alsdorf" in the then West Germany and were generally regarded as having a slightly warmer less incisive sound than the Masterdisk originals.

Hope that helps

Steve
Old 18th March 2006, 12:38 AM

Default Charity Shop Bargain?

Dire Straits - Love over Gold, 50p. The LP is in the correct outer and inner cover but it has no label! The spindle hole is oversize and less than round. However, impressed in the vinyl along with the LP number - 6359 109 - (and other numbers) is the word 'Masterdisk'. Does this have any significance or is it just a bog standard LP? I must say the LP plays very well once it is centred on the turntable and held in place with a record clamp. The sound is very clean and open with just the odd click and pop to show for its almost a quarter of a century.

Fred.
Old 18th March 2006, 05:47 PM

VG Graded copy of July - S/T on the Major Minor Label for £2.50 in Devizes Wiltshire a few years back, if it was in Mint condition who knows what it would be worth now - lots of dosh I know!!!

A great bit of 60s British Psych and quite a rarity - when I first saw it I didn't know what it was but I liked the cover. Boy am I glad I bought it as I got a surprise when I got home and looked it up in Record Collector. My search has been ongoing ever since for more Great British Psych.

Basil
Old 18th March 2006, 10:51 PM

You were quick off the mark with your reply Steve - so quick in fact that your reply is timed before the question

Fred.