World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > WD Other Parts and Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WD Other Parts and Projects All other WD Parts and Projects

Old 3rd January 2016, 05:06 PM

Default WD Phono3S XL

There was an article some years ago (cannot remember where - maybe Hi Fi World ?) where someone did some comparitive tests with different valve brands for this phono stage.

Can anyone direct as to where I might find this article

Thank you
Old 4th January 2016, 12:26 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: WD Phono3S XL

Hi,
As a starter what are you hoping to do?

John
Old 4th January 2016, 05:46 AM

HI
The article I think you may be recalling was by Neville Roberts. If you go to his web-page http://rssconsultancy.co.uk/ and then click the journalism/hifi link you will find a list of articles he has published in pdf format. The one you are after is titled "Spinning The Bottle" from the Jan 2010 edition of Hifi World.
Hope this helps
Cheers
Phil.
Old 4th January 2016, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

I've tried many valves in Phono and it's difficult as you cannot AB quickly and have to power off, swap valves, power on, re-cue, etc. Trying many valves in one sitting using limited recordings is unlikely to lead to a good choice imho. You will soon be tired of jumping up swapping valves and re-cueing with ear burn out from trying to decide!

It needs to be done over weeks of casual listening to a wide variety of recordings and the first wowee type you found may not be your long time favourite. Granted, it's not too hard to eliminate completely unsuitable ones for your system and music but even they may be just the ones needed in someone else's system. So buy a few valves, have a listen, and return to them in a later session to confirm initial thoughts. Differences are often more obvious going back than forward.

The supplied JJs are a good balance and two others I spent a lot of time with are GE5751 (smooth and detailed great depth exc all rounder) and EI ECC83 (dynamic and open sounding great on rock and well recorded material).
Old 5th January 2016, 03:24 PM

As I'm thinking of renewing the valves (now 8 years +) I was intrugued to read this article which has now kindly been identified by a member. As phono purchased ready built from WD, not aware of brand of valves originally fitted
Michael
Old 5th January 2016, 04:39 PM

They would have been JJ ECC83. are you happy with the originals ? if so then leave them in, these small signal valves will probably see your life time out, it is only power valves that work hard that have a short life, if its sonic change that you are after, then that is where it gets expensive, because what one may like, you may not. Hope this helps you. BOB
Old 5th January 2016, 07:22 PM

Many thanks to every one for their comments.

Michael
Old 6th January 2016, 10:55 PM

Something I was reading today in a textbook, apparently as valves age and their gm and ra alters it can have an effect on the RIAA eq. Apparently this can confuse people over the relative merits of certain brands of valve when it might just be the change in characteristics as the valve ages. High gain valves like ECC83 it said are most likely to be affected.
Thats more or less the gist of it, my source was the Morgan Jones books.

Food for thought?

And I'll second Bob on the original fit JJ. They are to me as good as any boutique valves I have tried.

Andy.
Old 7th January 2016, 12:34 AM
Super Moderator

Yep my Phono II runs a Sovtek 5751 and two JJ 83s sounds great. I also sometimes use my vintage Marconi B339 and two mullards 12AX7s

do these sound any better well no not to my ears so my phono III will use the sovtek and JJs as I would not pay the prices of these vintage Valve i have seein the Marconi B339 go for £69.00 a pop
No I did not buy the Marconi or the mallards these were pulls from an old Marshall Amp I had

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s
Other turntables AR EB101/Thorns TD150mk2/Thorns TD160mk2

If you have trouble reading my posts its because I am a dyslexic member

Last edited by colin.hepburn; 7th January 2016 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Added text