World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > WD Loudspeakers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WD Loudspeakers For discussion of World Designs Loudspeakers

Old 10th February 2018, 12:25 PM

Default New WD25Tex build

Hi All
I have completed (finally) my pair of WD25Tex's, the final version with the Millennium tweeter and Peter Comeau's final revision of the crossover. Cabinets are 25mm ply with a gloss enamel finish (which I will redo when the temperature falls below av. 30+ degrees celsius - I realise why everyone that I mentioned the gloss enamel idea just rolled their eyes at me! The idea for the finish was to be my homage to the new and "slightly" more expensive Yamaha NS-5000's. To get that level of gloss that good IS pretty tricky....who'd have thought!

Crossovers are populated with Jensen components from my new Brisbane friend Nigel at Speakerbug.com.au.

All in all a great learning experience even though woodwork and painting are obviously not my forte!

And now to the sound.......

I am VERY satisfied with my handiwork. Vocals are dripping with emotion and as to the controversial bass response?..... tuneful and articulate, lacking what I now realise was a fat/bloated bass from my existing ported MTM style floor standers. Early days but listening to Radiohead's The Bends gives real texture to the instruments (including bass guitar). I will say I am not overpowered by subsonics but I don't mind that one bit. Imaging is is first class as well.

I hope this report and the accompaning pics inspire others to do the same.

Special mention to Edwin for his wonderful assistance in supplying copies of original docs regarding the project.... I wish I had your woodworking skills!

Regards

Phil.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Final WD25Tex.jpg (27.6 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpeg WD25Tex Build1.jpeg (69.7 KB, 83 views)
Old 10th February 2018, 12:42 PM

Default Re: New WD25Tex build

Here is the crossover.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-02-10 at 9.35.01 pm copy.jpg (108.7 KB, 111 views)
Old 10th February 2018, 03:16 PM

Great build Phil! now time to enjoy. Wish we could have a couple days at 30+ degrees. Did you spray the gloss paint on?

Chris.
Old 10th February 2018, 09:58 PM
WD Archivist

Yes, very nice build. You have every right to be proud of your creation. The materials and components you have used should enhance performance beyond what was reported and for some of us, experienced with the original kit. As Chris said, it’s now time to sit back and enjoy your music.
Old 10th February 2018, 10:43 PM

Hi Chris
The gloss was Dulux gloss enamel black in spray cans. It is just tricky to apply consistently in hot weather, one coat would be spot on but I would get some “orange peel” with the next. If only I had acess to pressurised spray gun and spray booth....
Old 20th February 2018, 08:54 PM

Hi,
Nice job. I also have Wd25TExs in a sandwich of particular board and mdf skin which I had sprayed by a pro.

From your photos I take it you meant to say Jantzen capacitors rather than Jensens. Did you use 2 (6.8uF and 3.3uF) to reach the 10.1uF peter specified.for the woofer ? I ended up using a Russian teflon and anotherRussky PIO cap but I am definitely looking to change them I have been told to use a single cap of 10.0uF for thios purpose. Dunno if it makes any difference. Did Peter use 2 because it was easier to reach 10.1uF or is there a sound reason for it, I wonder.

Enjoy
Old 21st February 2018, 06:08 AM

Hi Van
I just followed to the letter the last published X-over form Peter's articles when the new tweeter (millennium) was suggested as the final upgrade. Peter did mention in one reply on the forum 25mm ply as one possible material choice. I should have said "Jantzen" coils, resistors and caps.
Cheers
Phil.
Old 21st February 2018, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VantheMan View Post
Hi,
Nice job. I also have Wd25TExs in a sandwich of particular board and mdf skin which I had sprayed by a pro.

From your photos I take it you meant to say Jantzen capacitors rather than Jensens. Did you use 2 (6.8uF and 3.3uF) to reach the 10.1uF peter specified.for the woofer ? I ended up using a Russian teflon and anotherRussky PIO cap but I am definitely looking to change them I have been told to use a single cap of 10.0uF for thios purpose. Dunno if it makes any difference. Did Peter use 2 because it was easier to reach 10.1uF or is there a sound reason for it, I wonder.

Enjoy
Don't forget the capacitors tolerance, if they are 1%, 10.1 could be 10.201, or 9.999, so you could and should select components of equal value for each channel, but I doubt you will hear any difference. BOB