World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Loudspeakers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Loudspeakers Your DIY Speaker designs

Old 28th January 2022, 06:26 PM

Default Re: Tweaking Sextets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercom View Post

The Mk 3 was tuned extensively to overcome these problems, particularly in the crossover department.

You can, by all means, increase the resistance to the Tonegen treble unit. The first Mk1s had a switch which did this - either 1.5 or 1.8 Ohms I think. The 3.9uF to the unit is highly critical of component choice. I suggest the Soniqs SAX 3.3uF plus 0.68uF (the combo is still within 5%).

How is the 125uF to the mid provided? That's a lot of Solens if it is those! I would suggest 100uF Alcap plus Soniqs 15uF and 10uF PXX if not.
I am upgrading Sextet Mk11 and I do not see these values at all!
I see 5.9uf (all MKT) going to the ribbon tweeter and 4.1 ohm resistance (paralleled 8.2)

I have 71.6uf across the bass driver not 125! I could also do with help on the circuit. The mid seems to be in a loop back to the positive side of the bass driver before its bypass. Paralleled with the mid, a 4.39mh inductor and then also paralleled a 2.2uf MKT cap with a 15 ohm resistor in series. Not seen this before.

To be clear, I am not tuning, just upgrading the parts. The iron core inductor, all the caps (The Ansar were probably alright but so well glued they're gone). IT;s just the mid circuit is intriguing. Have schematics and images only loading to WD seems difficult.

Last edited by A1000; 28th January 2022 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Improving