World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > Members > BB Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BB Problems Report and Reply on any problems using this Bulletin Board

Old 2nd January 2006, 10:56 PM
WD Archivist

Default Tweaking the Settings

Hi Peter et al,

Some adjustments need to be done to the settings. Please can members remain logged in for a reasonable amount of time before we are automatically logged out. I've found that I can be logged in, interrupt my reading to make a coffee and find on return I've been logged out. I've therefore lost the indicators of what are new threads that I've not read and have to study the post times/dates to find what is new for me. Furthermore, I got automatically logged out in the course of typing two extended responses on threads which meant my posts went perminantly AWOL and I'd wasted my time.

I've had this sort of experience before. It would be good if conservative settings could be established so we don't get logged out early regardless of whether we are just reading or making contributions.

Thanks,

Greg
Old 2nd January 2006, 11:16 PM

Default Re: Tweaking the Settings

I'm not sure this is anything to do with the BB Greg. It could be something on your machine (cookies). I have been logged in all day, and have not noticed any problems. Likewise with the old BB. I have never been automatically logged out since using either of the WAD or WD bulletin boards.

If you are using IE, you may want to check your browser security/privacy settings, or any kind of third party software that may be interfering (norton, etc). I am pretty sure it has nothing to do with the BB itself.

Last edited by soulminer; 2nd January 2006 at 11:29 PM.
Old 2nd January 2006, 11:27 PM
Lord.

Greg,
I think this may be between you and your pooter.
I have the flakiest laptop in the world and yet, on this BB, I signed in once and it hasn't forgotten me yet.
Try 'signing out' and then signing back in and asking it to 'Remember You'.
Good luck.

As regards problems I know you (and I, and others) have had with 'long replies' getting lost, this is just an 'internet thing'! As a golden rule, if you have been typing and/or composing a reply for more than a few minutes cut and paste the text into a .txt (e.g. NotePad) file before clicking the 'Post' button. Easily forgotten I know, and Sod's Law dictates that if you do this every time you will wonder why, but that the one time you don't your erudite literary stylings will disappear!

Last edited by Lord.; 2nd January 2006 at 11:35 PM.
Old 2nd January 2006, 11:33 PM
WD Archivist

Hi Lee,

Thank-you, although I do think there are some issues here that the forum could address. having said that, you know I'm a total Luddite. It'll be just another job for James to sort out for me and will probably cost me another bottle of Malt Whisky. I'm happy with that. For us he's been an absolute star. How did we manage before......I don't know

Best wishes,

Greg
Old 3rd January 2006, 12:46 AM

'Greg' (where did those single quotes come from, are you a different Greg?) I would check your clock setting. Cookies have a expiry time, and if you are set in the future, you will 'expire' before you expect.

If by any chance its not prior art, then the copyright is retained by me.
Old 3rd January 2006, 01:10 AM
Lord.

Hi Nick,
This BB demands user names to be 5 characters minimum. Me, Greg and Anex have slightly changed our user names to suit! The clock settings is a good addition to the suggestions.

Let us know how you get on 'Greg' ()

Regards,
Lord..
Old 3rd January 2006, 01:15 AM

Ah well, just as well I kept the family 'G' then :-)

If by any chance its not prior art, then the copyright is retained by me.
Old 3rd January 2006, 11:09 AM
WD Archivist

Hi Nick,

Yes, I'm the same Greg. Matt explains correctly although on reflection I wished I'd used a full-stop after than the single quotes fore and aft. Richard tried to change this for me but I couldn't then log in. The method I used unfortunantely puts my membership position in the 'A's and not G and I always find I'm listed at the front of the user list below which is an appeared arrogance I do not aspire to.

Best wishes,

Greg
Old 3rd January 2006, 12:30 PM

Greg, I've been autologged out when using my laptop. Has not happened with my home PC though, well not that I've noticed. Could be a cookie thing, make sure your browser is accepting them from world-designs.co.uk.

Don't think its a clock related problem.
Old 5th January 2006, 06:21 PM

As another Luddite (hello Greg) could someone tell me a quick way to get back to the main board eg. a thread 3/4 pages long I have to go back , page by page. Whereas with the WAD b/b you went to the bottom of the page and clicked on eg. general or whatever - answers please.

Black Stuart