World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Loudspeakers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Loudspeakers Your DIY Speaker designs

Old 17th September 2020, 06:05 PM

Default Re: Tweaking Sextets.

Get a life Stuart, and I am offended at your comments toward Bikerhifinut, he and many more don't think your way of addressing cables is for this or any other music forum, however, cables do make a small difference to sound, but the science behind it is way over most peoples head. Bob
Old 17th September 2020, 06:14 PM

Black Stuart

Time out please.

I'm making it easy for you and suspending your membership for a while. Your recent posts have been too rich.

Lots of folk have lots of opinions ... we're not here to antagonise each other.

You are welcome back when you have calmed down.

Matthew
Old 17th September 2020, 06:59 PM

I'd just like to point out that "Bikerman" is Stuarts nickname for Philip (pre65, I at least know what that refers to in the trials bike and classic racer world, as do you Bob).
Although I have no doubt my, I hope, reasonable opinions and observations, don't agree with Stuarts, then again they don't agree with a few others in here and we rub along.
If I cant hear a difference I don't pretend I can. If it means I have cloth ears then so be it. I have my own belief system and its backed up by 40 odd years of experience in the hobby including one or two expensive forays into more esoteric connecting wires. (in my book a "cable" is a bloody great wire rope or even a chain used to connect tons of anchor to an ocean going ship,)
But I stand by my basic tenets, that it doesn't matter how fancy or advanced your lengths of wire are if the items of equipment you are lacing together with it are in any way not performing adequately or properly.

You can varnish a turd as much as you like but all you'll get is a shinier turd.

Matthew, I hope this doesn't go against forum rules or etiquette.

A.
Old 17th September 2020, 07:52 PM

Thanks for the correction Andy, I thought the post was aimed at you, I hope Stuart calms down if and when he returns as we should all like a bit of banter. Bob
Old 17th September 2020, 08:06 PM

Well, If Stuart is meaning me by the term "bikerman", then what he has written about me is complete and utter tosh. But at least we will be spared him for a while.

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 17th September 2020, 08:18 PM

Of that I am certain Philip.
If you trawl back you will find that you are the one called bikerman and the specific accusations made are definitely complete untruths about me, up to the point of possibly being from an era before I got into WD kit, and as we all know, I have had a few WD amps, pre, phono, KEL84 and 88VA. And I have all of them except the KEL84and I know where that is still.
Anyway this only makes us just as bad.

Healthy debate, and respect for each others experiences, that's all we expect.

I've stated my philosophy, it neither makes me right nor wrong.

A.
Old 18th October 2020, 09:20 PM

Hey folks

Any chance the wire diagrams for the crossovers are available anywhere? (original links appear dead)

I have sextets that I believe are from around 93/94 with bass drivers from Norway, so I believe that puts me somewhere between Mark II and Mark IV.
Old 28th January 2022, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercom View Post

The Mk 3 was tuned extensively to overcome these problems, particularly in the crossover department.

You can, by all means, increase the resistance to the Tonegen treble unit. The first Mk1s had a switch which did this - either 1.5 or 1.8 Ohms I think. The 3.9uF to the unit is highly critical of component choice. I suggest the Soniqs SAX 3.3uF plus 0.68uF (the combo is still within 5%).

How is the 125uF to the mid provided? That's a lot of Solens if it is those! I would suggest 100uF Alcap plus Soniqs 15uF and 10uF PXX if not.
I am upgrading Sextet Mk11 and I do not see these values at all!
I see 5.9uf (all MKT) going to the ribbon tweeter and 4.1 ohm resistance (paralleled 8.2)

I have 71.6uf across the bass driver not 125! I could also do with help on the circuit. The mid seems to be in a loop back to the positive side of the bass driver before its bypass. Paralleled with the mid, a 4.39mh inductor and then also paralleled a 2.2uf MKT cap with a 15 ohm resistor in series. Not seen this before.

To be clear, I am not tuning, just upgrading the parts. The iron core inductor, all the caps (The Ansar were probably alright but so well glued they're gone). IT;s just the mid circuit is intriguing. Have schematics and images only loading to WD seems difficult.

Last edited by A1000; 28th January 2022 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Improving