World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

Old 18th July 2006, 10:37 PM

Question KEL84 V Stereo 20

Has any one out there had a chance to compare a Leak stereo 20 to the KEL84?
If so how do they compare regards sound quality? I have been using a stereo 20 for years but i am starting to fancy somthing a bit better and also tidying up my lounge a bit. My pre amp is not very pretty and is just sockets, switches and a couple of cathode followers so i would not miss it. Any opinions welcome.
Old 18th July 2006, 10:50 PM

Default Re: KEL84 V Stereo 20

I've had a st20 and hear a few kel84's. I sold the st20 but if I had a kel84 at home I wouldn't sell it.
Old 20th July 2006, 06:40 PM

Agreed.

The Leak is still a very fine amplifier,but the KEL84 is just better.

HTH

Kindest Regards

Martin

Last edited by Martin213; 20th July 2006 at 06:57 PM.
Old 29th July 2006, 02:31 PM

Thanks, i think i will probably take the plunge and order one. If i did not get on with it are they re-sellable or do people not trust buying a kit that somone has built at home?

Regards, Phil.
Old 29th July 2006, 02:43 PM

I don't think you'd ever want to sell it.
Old 29th July 2006, 02:54 PM

LOL,agreed Paul
(addition) The KEL84 is quite a remarkable amplifier,all those who are slightly disgruntled please be patient.
It will be worth the wait

Last edited by Martin213; 29th July 2006 at 03:10 PM.
Old 29th July 2006, 03:51 PM

I notice that there are several people who have had problems with noisy mains transformers with the KEL84. How common is this? This is the kind of thing that would really bug me. Do people manage to sort this out ok? I have 2 stereo 20s, both silent(mechanically). My line level pre-amp i built with a transformer supplied by Sowter, this makes a slight hum when you are VERY close to it which is O.K. Would W.D. supply a replacment transformer if the one in the kit was unacceptably noisy?
Sorry to be asking so many questions, but i suppose i am quite fussy when it comes to that kind of thing, in my mind there is no need for a transformer to be noisy unless it is of poor quality(loose windings?)

Regards, Phil.
Old 30th July 2006, 07:25 AM

Rest assured that if you have an unduly mechanically noisy transformer we will replace it immediately.

However, to date, we have only had one transformer that was faulty, and we are investigating why so we can avoid it in the future. All our current transformers are vacuum impregnated and have spot glued laminations to avoid any buzzing. Any related problems appear to be due to vibration on the chassis, and there are posted mods to avoid this.

We are looking into these mods and will come up with a definitive answer which we will add to the instructions as soon as possible.
Old 30th July 2006, 12:10 PM

Thanks for the reassurance, i have ordered a kit now so there we go. Am i right in thinking that in the old days, Quad, Leak etc. used to fully encapsulate their transformers in potting compound or wax? Could this be a solution or would it put the price up to much for what is ultimately a 'budget' Kit? (that is not ment to sound disparaging)

Regards, Phil.
Old 30th July 2006, 12:16 PM

The modern way is vacuum impregnation. This makes sure that the 'potting compound' gets into every nook and cranny and seals the transformer properly.

All our current transformers have vacuum impregnation. We work with a local transformer manufacturer who has a lot of experience in this area.

However all transformers vibrate depending on the amount of power going through them. In a Class A valve amplifier the mains transformer is providing a lot of continuous output. So it is going to vibrate and get hot.

At present the transformer is screwed directly to the steel chassis which locks the vibration into the complete amplifier. If the amplifier is placed on a resonant shelf, furniture or cupboard this vibration can resound and be objectionable.

We are looking at the best way of mounting the KEL84 transformer to reduce these, and other, effects and will come back with a mounting recommendation soon.