World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Is what it is all about

Old 14th May 2006, 05:40 PM

Exclamation Mono - Stereo Mixes????

I just recently acquired a MONO copy of the "Who Sell Out" and gave it an Okki Nokking (record clean) for playing this afternoon - the point of this thread. Well!! I was suprised to note that a few tracks are of a different mix to the stereo version. SO WHAT?? You say! LOOK - I do have a blue anorak.

I was almost gobsmacked at the track " Our Love Was" the mono version is really different in respect of the guitar work of Pete. The stereo version is the more familar version I am used to with CD remixes abounding but in mono it is worth a listen if you get a chance.

I remember when "My Generartion" was issed a few years back on vinyl and the difference from the original vinyl was interesting - loss of some guitar lead, but still a superb clear and dynamic record. Nearly everyone says the original Brunswick issue is best, I say only just as the US Decca stereo LP is excellent or is my system due for the scrap heap? Probably is. The Linn changes character each I switch the damn thing on.

I have heard of people talking about Pink Floyd comparing the mono and stereo mixes of Piper at the Gates of Dawn and saying there are differences, they are subtle compared to the mixes on the Who "Sell Out".

As an aside any one got the poster that came with the LP? Ah well never mind.

Hoping that at last the chance to see the Who in Bristol next month will be an ambition fullfilled albeit 35 years too late.

Where's the Tardis - ah forget it.

Basil

PS: The best free system upgrade? - see your local nurse every 6 months for an ear syringe.
Old 15th May 2006, 12:28 AM
Lord.

Default Re: Mono - Stereo Mixes????

Hi,

I can't comment on Mono mixes but as regards the Who, the U.S. London pressings are excellent!

Also, the U.S. version of 'A Quick One' throws away the hideous live version of 'Heatwave' and replaces it with the new title track 'Happy Jack' making for a much better and more consistent L.P.