World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

Old 21st January 2007, 11:54 AM

Default Cap. rolling with PhonoII

It’s been a while but I’ve been capacitor swapping again. This time in PhonoII’s output stage.

I’ve been using the standard Orange drops as originally supplied since I built it. These are great all round caps. Their only real downside sonically is one of omission. They sound balanced but just don’t seem to really resolve low level detail and dynamics.

So I lined up some low cost alternatives to try, Solen’s, Aeon’s, RS Yellow’s and the Soniqs SAX.

By far the worst out of all of these where the Solens. Grey, drab, dull, boring! The Aeons where better adding a bit more body to the sound but still not right. Surprisingly the RS Yellow Polyprops sounded very good. Balanced and with good low level detail they were very nice to listen to, a bit like the Orange drops but with more detail, however, they where just a little too polite, sitting on dynamics a touch.

The best, and I feel embarrassed to say it on the WD BB, are the WD SAX caps. These where by far the best sounding or rather they where *not* the best sounding because as far as I could tell they had no obvious sound at all. They seem to be superbly neutral with a see through clarity, devoid of any obvious traits.

I’m trying not to sound like an advert for Peter (cough!) but they are a very good cap. The only downside is the limited range available, I would be tempted to try some in my amp. and also in the C10/11 position in PhonoII but they don’t come in those values unless Peter know better….
Old 21st January 2007, 12:18 PM

Default Re: Cap. rolling with PhonoII

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealG View Post
It’s been a while but I’ve been capacitor swapping again. This time in PhonoII’s output stage.

I’ve been using the standard Orange drops as originally supplied since I built it. These are great all round caps. Their only real downside sonically is one of omission. They sound balanced but just don’t seem to really resolve low level detail and dynamics.

So I lined up some low cost alternatives to try, Solen’s, Aeon’s, RS Yellow’s and the Soniqs SAX.

By far the worst out of all of these where the Solens. Grey, drab, dull, boring! The Aeons where better adding a bit more body to the sound but still not right. Surprisingly the RS Yellow Polyprops sounded very good. Balanced and with good low level detail they were very nice to listen to, a bit like the Orange drops but with more detail, however, they where just a little too polite, sitting on dynamics a touch.

The best, and I feel embarrassed to say it on the WD BB, are the WD SAX caps. These where by far the best sounding or rather they where *not* the best sounding because as far as I could tell they had no obvious sound at all. They seem to be superbly neutral with a see through clarity, devoid of any obvious traits.

I’m trying not to sound like an advert for Peter (cough!) but they are a very good cap. The only downside is the limited range available, I would be tempted to try some in my amp. and also in the C10/11 position in PhonoII but they don’t come in those values unless Peter know better….
I just put a couple of 4.7uF caps into the treble section of my loudspeaker crossover and they're much superior to the solens I took out. As a result I've ordered 2 x 47uF PXX for the bass section and am fully expecting these to be better than the solens also.

Brian
Old 21st January 2007, 04:17 PM

Smile Re: Cap. rolling with PhonoII

Hi all

I have used quite a few of the PXX and sax type caps and can really recommend them , they sound really good to me and I have used them for cathode bias and speaker crossovers and I also agree with Neal that it would be nice to see more values like .22 ufd in the 630v DCw in the sax range.

Acorn
Old 21st January 2007, 08:36 PM
WD Archivist

Hi Neal,

You are talking about the 2.2uF aren't you? If so, a big price difference to a paper in oil type. I was thinking recently that there is very little subjective review of WD's caps on the forum. A bit of exposure from trusted ears is good. The fact that in this application they beat the RS yellows is for me significant because I use these as a bench mark on sound performance particularly for coupling. Thanks for the input. Anyone else had a good comparable experience with the WD Soniqs range?

Best wishes,

Greg
Old 21st January 2007, 09:39 PM

Hi Greg, yes the 2u2 o/p caps.

I use the RS yellows in the C10/100 position, they are good. The Soniqs are better...just wish they did some 0.1uF
Old 21st January 2007, 09:53 PM

I also use the Sonix 2.2's in the Phono II .....very good..similar to Jupiters, but better...and a great price.
0.1's are Auricaps (from WD too)...best I've found without spending silly money.

Regards
Gerry
Old 23rd January 2007, 12:01 PM

Guys,
For reference, on the 'RS Yellows' - which ones are these ?
I'm familiar with the Arcotronics film/foil ones ( KP 1.72 ) - yellow with white ends, which I use from time to time .

Mark
Old 23rd January 2007, 02:03 PM
WD Archivist

Hi Mark,

Yes, I was refering to the Arcotronics.

Best wishes,

Greg
Old 23rd January 2007, 05:20 PM

if it's any help
I've just changed the o/p caps in my Cornet phono from Russian pios to Dynamicaps with great effect

Old 23rd January 2007, 06:05 PM

I have russian pio output caps in my Phono II would I hear an improvement if they were changed to WD Soniq's or should i stick with what I've got.

I have not been totaly convinced that it was an upgrade from the orange drops but it is different and have been thinking of swapping back to see now that the pio have been burn't in for a while but it may be good time to try something else.