World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Loudspeakers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Loudspeakers Your DIY Speaker designs

Old 22nd April 2007, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

Default 2007 TLs

All,

It's clear there are several members here with great knowledge of modern drive units and TL theory. What I'd love to hear about is any modern TL designs that really work well. Failing that, what present day drive units would you go for, and even a possible design.

I saw the TL version of the WD speaker but find 2 ways lacking in the mid, maybe I'm wrong. Any examples or tales of your own experiences, virtual or, preferably, real?
Old 22nd April 2007, 08:53 PM

Default Re: 2007 TLs

Hi-what about a TL bass unit with an OB fullrange unit ?

Philip

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 22nd April 2007, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre65 View Post
Hi-what about a TL bass unit with an OB fullrange unit ? Philip
Dead easy to do. Did you have anything in particular in mind?
Old 22nd April 2007, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
...What I'd love to hear about is any modern TL designs that really work well. Failing that, what present day drive units would you go for, and even a possible design. I saw the TL version of the WD speaker but find 2 ways lacking in the mid, maybe I'm wrong. Any examples or tales of your own experiences, virtual or, preferably, real?
There aren't many modern TLs sadly -that's primarily why Dave & I did the WD25TL. The intention was always for that to be a first step though -the drivers & XO are excellent & lend themselves to loading in this way. We're hoping to do at least one more, which will be a 3 way, possibly with other variations. Not sure on the drivers yet -it's something we'll have to discuss. We've also got a design for a 6ft tall TL sub in the works that should be solid to about 15Hz assuming the room can cope, and a guy over on DIYaudio is currently building a PMC sub lookalike that we did for him.

Hmm. Other experiences. One that sticks out for me is our re-design of the Seas Thor enclosures a while ago & these seem to have gone down well with builders thus far. It also advanced our own knowledge of QW / TL design as we had to try to work through the original design, and then figure out why the cabinet didn't perform as was claimed, or the measurements appeared to indicate (long story).

Martin King's Project 2 ML TQWT works a treat -I've built 3 pairs & still miss them. And quite a few staight MLTL variations too (I think about 6 pairs), either based on Martin's or my own designs -I've done more of those than I care to remember, mostly over on DIYaudio. There are lots of fascinating examples of TLs etc., that people have designed using Martin's MathCad worksheets on the gallery on his site www.quarter-wave.com & I'd put money on all of them being excellent performers.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 22nd April 2007 at 10:55 PM.
Old 22nd April 2007, 10:41 PM

Hi Scott-well it was said a bit "tongue in cheek" but why not ?

I have heard the OB s at Egg 4 and i was impressed by the sound,but not by the size.

I am quite happy with the Mk 1 VoFos at the moment but would like to think about OBs if there was a way of making them narrower.

What baffle size would you need for a Fostex full range driver like NickG is using ?

Philip

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 22nd April 2007, 11:59 PM

Not huge. Depends how high up you run the TL region. Have you seen Dick Olsher's Basszilla? 8in FR / WR unit with supertweeter run open baffle, with a 15in reflex loaded bass chamber. This is a gallery of completed cabinets: http://www.blackdahlia.com/html/tip_45.html

As you can see, it's very large, but it'd be possible to do a more compact version with TL loading of the LF rather than reflex quite easily. A good 10in - 12in woofer should make a decent match.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 23rd April 2007 at 12:13 AM.
Old 23rd April 2007, 06:59 AM

Is it just me or do those bass reflex boxes just look awful compared to James' and Nick's speakers? I know mine aren't pretty.

Nick's OB bass is as good as I would want it driven by the correct amplifier.

I did pick up an idea from the lonked page though, the perspex wood hybrid whilst not going to all the expense James has, does blend the speakers with the room better than all the other pictured units.

To be quite honest those baszillas are not far removed in the uggly contest from full blown Edgarhorn Tightan's. Bruces sub bass method isn't actually that intrusive as the two reflex monsters on the bottom of the baszilla. His is a bit of a tower cathedral organ like but it goes in the middle of the back wall, so doesn't push you back away from the seating to the back wall, which these clearly would in any average UK sitting room. Actually they probably sound great from the hall.
Old 23rd April 2007, 07:36 AM
Stu2006

I have the IPL st4, Ivor states that these are a full-size TL. Is this not the case?
Old 23rd April 2007, 08:31 AM

Well, I didn't say they were pretty... The 'Zilla monkier is well deserved IMO. Personally, I think they look vile (though the finish on a couple is 1st rate), but there's not much wrong with the concept & a far more attractive & compact version with TL loading for the LF regions that should suit UK rooms & tastes is quite possible

The IPL designs are full size AFAIKfor the drivers used (whatever 'full size' means). They're about the only people making TL kits at the moment, which is a shame. Probably match or beat the PMC cabinets which have a similar internal layout.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 23rd April 2007 at 09:13 AM.
Old 23rd April 2007, 10:52 AM

Hi Stuart,

I can only 'assume' on this one,but i suspect Ivan's suggestion that the S4TL was a 'full size' transmission line was for marketing reasons,it's close commercial rival being the TDL Studio One. Following that came scaled-down models,the Studio 0.75 (6.5"?) and Studio 0.5 (5"?).

Anyone else?

Kindest Regards

Martin