World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Sources
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sources Your DIY source designs (turntables etc.)

Old 9th September 2007, 11:22 PM
WD Archivist

Default Mayware formula 4 Mk III owners come in

I have this arm and now want to use it. It's pretty sound and looks good. I'll be rewiring and may do that headshell tweak together with glued joints etc.

To help me out, I need a bit of info.

1. Please can someone measure the length of the original anti-skate weight to pillar connecting link so I can make up a new one. My arm has a bit of cotton with no exact dimension. I know I can improvise but I'd like to be accurate; thank-you

2. The sliding tracking weight cursor on mine is very loose on the shaft and has no stickability. I see it is lined with a fibrous material, possibly nothing more than cardboard, however the looseness is not good and I'd expect a more resistive interference fit to be right. Am I right? If so, what do I do to the cursor lining to cause some expansion and allow a more resistive fitting in terms of sliding and retention in the best position? I've thought of water but that'll dry out fast. Oil might be better but it'll leave a residue wherever slid. Surely this was not an issue from new? Please, those in the know, help me out and please, no posts based on ignorant speculation

Looking forward to replies.

Best wishes,

Greg
Old 10th September 2007, 09:07 AM

Default Re: Mayware formula 4 Mk III owners come in

HI Greg, is anything I ever say 'idle speculation' ? I think not.

Anyway I'll measure the string and tell ya! My idle slackining tracking weight is not as loose as yours but there is a tendency there, I can tell. Why not set the weight and then put a dollop of glue of vaseline to hold it in place. Arms after all delicate and it shouldn't need much to keep the weight in place all things being more or less horizonatal. (you don't like this suggestion do you!)
Old 10th September 2007, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Greg, I had one new, late 70's, and, from memory(!), it looked like it used felt (off-white coloured?). Anyway, no, it certainly didn't move of its own accord. I'd slide it off, take a look, and replace the felt(?) if needed.
Old 10th September 2007, 10:52 AM

Hi Greg-i am not familiar with the 111 arm.

My Sonus formula 4 is a 1V and does not seem to have the part you are talking about.

I have a packet of plastic shim sheets in various sizes (RS 681-407) if it would be of any help to you.

Philip

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 10th September 2007, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

Hi, If a different medium is used the arm may sound different due to different decoupling of the weight.
Old 10th September 2007, 04:50 PM

Hi Greg I make the nylon link 55mm long using a thin metal ruler jammed in the loop at one end and then measuring to the end of the loop at the other end.

The material inside the cursor seems very like Brasso wadding. You could try some Brsso wadding or remove the cursor but then suffer "fun" setting up the arm.

Clive
Old 10th September 2007, 10:23 PM
WD Archivist

Thanks for the help guys.

Andrew, Thanks for the speculative suggestion.....I suppose I do like these if they are intelligent and clearly you are very intelligent

Richard, yes, it probably is felt. I removed the cursor again tonight and studied more closely. In its dried out state it appears layered like cardboard. I soaked it in water and the felt expanded giving a nice gentle interference fit. Maybe when the water evaporates the felt will hold its shape retaining this tightness? I hope so.

Philip, thanks for the input. You are right, the Sonus does not come with a cursored tracking weight as with the Mayware.

Clive, thanks a million. 55mm it is. Time to get to the fishing shop for some ultra fine nylon line and relearn how to tie solid loops.

Best wishes,

Greg
Old 10th September 2007, 10:39 PM

Greg, I've treble checked, I reckon it's 54mm with one loop on a spindle, the other loop has the ruler stuck in it. Laid totally flat it would probably be 55mm.

Clive