World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Is what it is all about

Old 24th January 2009, 12:01 PM

Default Amused to Death... Roger Waters

Yesterday evening my partner Janet, still recovering from breast cancer, was busy on the internet so I thought I may take the opportunity to have a bit of a music session. After everything was warmed up I decided to listen to Amused to Death by Roger Waters. All of the room lights were out for maximum impact and as the album is recorded using Q Sound, I thought I would be in for a real treat. Now given that I used to hear this album using a Musical Fidelity A100 into Rogers LS3/5a's, last night I was very disappointed. Q Sound produces a fantastic stereo image all over the place but my present sound system was dreadful with no precise placement. OK, I am in the middle of purchasing new gear but it's going to take all of this year to sort it financially.

The album Amused to Death is apparently about mankind as seen through the eyes of an ape. It is very reflective of Waters views on the military and politics and shows off his somewhat narrow minded attitude to such things but musically I think it is his best album. It is full of soundbites taken from various sources that all add to the overall experience and, listening to this album is an experience. All I need to do now is to get together a decent sound system to fully appreciate it.
Original 2008F HDCD Player modified for UK mains: Beresford Caiman: Technics SL1210 MkII/Ortofon OM30 Super/Audioref mat/Aluminium puck: Croft Micro 25 Basic Pre: Croft Series 7 Power: Dali Suite 2.8 Loudspeakers: Van Den Hul D102HB Mk III Interconnects: NVA LS5 Loudspeaker Cables:

Secret Lust: VPI Scout II/Sumiko Blackbird:

Shaunie Boy
Old 29th January 2009, 02:53 PM

Default Re: Amused to Death... Roger Waters

Sounds good. I havent bought any of Pinks albums since 'the Wall', which didnt get played as much as their earlier stuff. The soundtrack for "MORE" maybe my favourite but what you say about the sound montage reminds me of john Cage pieces which I often like.
Im sure I could manage his politics politely - after all he is surely being true to his art and beliefs - I think I prefer that in an artist then bland - I dont like punk but accept their 'spirit'.

I am going to recomend my friend use Andy Jackson (who works for floyd and Dave Gimour) as a mastering engineer for the cd we are releasing - no this is not a plug unless you like harp music and song
Old 29th January 2009, 05:33 PM

Default Re: Amused to Death... Roger Waters

Nakman, I use the phrase narrow minded in a polite way. We are all narrow minded when it is something we are truly passionate about. Roger Waters is incredibly passionate when it comes to creating concept pieces. I still say this is his best.
Original 2008F HDCD Player modified for UK mains: Beresford Caiman: Technics SL1210 MkII/Ortofon OM30 Super/Audioref mat/Aluminium puck: Croft Micro 25 Basic Pre: Croft Series 7 Power: Dali Suite 2.8 Loudspeakers: Van Den Hul D102HB Mk III Interconnects: NVA LS5 Loudspeaker Cables:

Secret Lust: VPI Scout II/Sumiko Blackbird:

Shaunie Boy