World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > WAD > WAD General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WAD General For discussions re World Audio Design

Old 25th April 2015, 02:16 PM

Default Loudspeakers for WAD amps

Hi All,

Just wondering what WAD amp/loudspeaker partnerships people are using successfully.
I have a WAD KaT6550 and am thinking about downsizing to a 2-way, with half-decent sensitivity and a nominal 8 ohm load. Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Neil.
Audio-Note CD2.1x/AN-V i/c. Audio-Note M1 with A-N Copper PIO caps & AN-V wire, WAD KaT6550, NAD C368 Hybrid Digital DAC Amplifier with BluOS - Mountain Snow Atlas 2 speaker cable. Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 804
Old 25th April 2015, 03:03 PM

Default Re: Loudspeakers for WAD amps

If you asked 50 people you'd probably get 50 different replies.

Speakers are so room dependent for a start.

Have you any DIY woodworking skills ?

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 25th April 2015, 04:10 PM

Hi Neil, and to add to Philip's comments, price?, like he said you will get loads of answers, but to answer, I use a WA88, very similar to the 6550, it has 6550 tubes in at the moment courtesy of Richard, and the speakers are Monitor Audio PL100, pricey but fantastic, they cost me £2300.00, now, they retail at £2700.00. BOB
Old 26th April 2015, 10:17 AM

Hello Neil,

I have Tannoy Cheviots that work well with with my KEL84. Well, they are 2 way, 8 ohm and reasonably sensitive but not very small. There are smaller ones in the range, Devon and Eaton. Tannoy's are popular with valve users.
As Philip and Bob have said, it is so difficult to suggest speakers for someone else and I'm sure the Tannoy's would be a very different experience to Bobs Monitor Audio's or Philip's open baffles.

Regards, Phil.

Last edited by Phil Y; 26th April 2015 at 11:44 AM.
Old 1st May 2015, 02:44 PM

Hi Neil,

I used a kit6550 with both spendor s5e and s3e speakers within a 4.5m square room, overall I did prefer the s3e, had a bit more synergy but I am sure the room dimesions of my listening room did dictate/influence the choice between the versions.
Old 28th May 2015, 09:36 PM

Hi all,

Thanks for all of the replies.
I guess it was a loaded question, and it was meant to be, to get some reaction and thoughts. I'd just like to get a feel for what works "electrically" with a WAD amp, irrespective of price and room-size first of all. Are there any magic combinations? I don't know.
I have some small cheap Marantz speakers that I use in my home-cinema set-up. They work very well indeed, giving a great sound and bass to my music. As they are only about 20cm high and barely 3 litres or so in volume, they are wonderful. But they are not the be all and end all of hi-fi, for sure!
The mids are smooth but veiled, and the top-end is no where near like my B&W Nautilus 804's. Obviously.
So I was just hoping to find a middle-ground. Something small and sweet. Something sensibly priced, and something that'll last a few years like my WAD amp has already!

Cheers,

Neil.
Audio-Note CD2.1x/AN-V i/c. Audio-Note M1 with A-N Copper PIO caps & AN-V wire, WAD KaT6550, NAD C368 Hybrid Digital DAC Amplifier with BluOS - Mountain Snow Atlas 2 speaker cable. Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 804