World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > WAD > WAD General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WAD General For discussions re World Audio Design

Old 13th April 2006, 04:41 PM

Default KLPP1 Pre-amp

I am thinking of rebuilding mine (I gave up on it after multiple repeated failures in the PS section). Planning to use an alternative (chinese) power supply, but am concerned about the ratings. Does anyone know how much HT current the KLPP1 draws?

Thanks
Old 13th April 2006, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: KLPP1 Pre-amp

Hi David,
Have just done a quick calculate of the figures and stages are as follows
1st - 2ma
2nd - 5mA
3rd - 5mA
So total 12mA x 2 =24mA. 30mA will be more than adequate.
One point though, I have had several of these through the workshop and on high mains they all suffered the 7805/78S05 regulator shutting down due to overheating, as the heatsink was on the edge for what was required. Extending the leads and mounting the reg on the chassis base (with an insulating kit) cured the problems.

John aka Dr John
Old 13th April 2006, 06:52 PM

Actually the problem I had was with the Ht regulayor - BUZ78 - failing.
Old 13th April 2006, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator

Hi David,
Yes that was pretty common too. High volts and semiconductors never seem to go together too well.

John aka Dr John
Old 13th April 2006, 08:57 PM

-- Hi David

The phono end of business on this amp made a very good showing at the shoot-out. So defintely worth a rebuild. One of the WAD classics?

cheers,

-- Andrew
Old 13th April 2006, 11:49 PM

It's a shame, as I had planned on getting one of these; and then WAD discontinued them!
I know it had it's critics, but it seemed like a good starting point for experimenting.
Are there any on-line schematics, to refresh one's memory?
Old 14th April 2006, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew
-- Hi David

The phono end of business on this amp made a very good showing at the shoot-out. So defintely worth a rebuild. One of the WAD classics?

cheers,

-- Andrew
Then my memory is different to yours. I wanted to hear the KLPP1 to see whether it was worth re-introducing and was, frankly, disappointed compared to Greg's Phono II. In fact I thought it made the upgrade path to Phono II quite clear.

The line stage was good, though, when we used it at the end of the day.

I am very interested in the integrated preamp approach, though. Providing everything is given plenty of room inside a large case I think it would make a good 'starter' kit. But which do people prefer - a preamp followed by a KEL84 power amp or a phono stage followed by a KEL84 integrated? (I'm only using the KEL84 as an example - substitute your own favourite power amp).
Old 14th April 2006, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

Hi all,
From the few of these I have had for repair, I do not rate the phono part of them at all, far too noisy and microphonic for my liking, I have never understood this predilection for the ECC88 in high gain stages. It is fine for low gain stages and cathode followers etc but not 'it' for anywhere else. The ECC83 phono II stages or possibly the Radford/Bailey cascode ECC82 phono stage are streets better.
As Peter says the line stages are very good.
Now I duck down behind a thick wall

John aka Dr John
Old 14th April 2006, 10:02 AM

Yes Andrew, I liked KLPP1 as did many others. However, I still prefer the PhonoII, KLPP1 is too 'plummy' for me.

Edit: Noisy and microphonic? Not with my example. '88 is designed for cascode and it works in this cct IMHO. You do need a high o/p cart though and perhaps it's best suited to MM

And another thing! take a look at MJ on valves for RIAA stages, the '83 is dismissed because it's far too .... noisy! So what does he use.... yes the '88

Last edited by NealG; 14th April 2006 at 10:10 AM.
Old 14th April 2006, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercom
I am very interested in the integrated preamp approach, though. Providing everything is given plenty of room inside a large case I think it would make a good 'starter' kit. But which do people prefer - a preamp followed by a KEL84 power amp or a phono stage followed by a KEL84 integrated? (I'm only using the KEL84 as an example - substitute your own favourite power amp).
Personally I'd prefer the former, perhaps with the inclusion of the phono stage being optional for those who prefer to be able to experiment. If the phono stage is integrated with the preamp then the whole can be more easily integrated into the domestic environment. the Phono-feeding-integrated requires the whole shebang to be accessible, whereas a separate power amp can be placed elsewhere, leaving just the pre-amp on the shelf.
As a slightly fanciful additional option, how about a remote control facility?