World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > Members > BB Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BB Problems Report and Reply on any problems using this Bulletin Board

Old 13th May 2006, 09:51 AM

Question Non Hi-fi Posts

Peter-would it help to have a separate section for these posts as many have been interesting and it would be easier to ignore for those who want to ?

Philip
Old 13th May 2006, 12:38 PM
WD Archivist

Default Re: Non Hi-fi Posts

Personally I suspect that a seperate section for off topic matters would get little use. The recent off topic discussions on Philip's 99 thread and Neal's broken stylus thread IMHO have not been a problem, particularly as the topics originally under discussion had run their course and there was little more to be said. I see now harm in the occasional thread steering off course or even degenerating into something not audio related. As said elsewhere, there is no obligation for members to read all posts.

Best wishes,

Greg
Old 13th May 2006, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre65
Peter-would it help to have a separate section for these posts as many have been interesting and it would be easier to ignore for those who want to ?

Philip
Hi All
I have to say that I hate when i am following a thread and it goes of to something that has no relevance too the subject in hand
Thats my view on this

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s
Other turntables AR EB101/Thorns TD150mk2/Thorns TD160mk2

If you have trouble reading my posts its because I am a dyslexic member
Old 13th May 2006, 04:54 PM

Well, I have found when I have had conversations with the folk on the BB at eggfest or the phono shootout, the conversation has wandered in just the same way the threads do, I think thats just the way we are. After all how much can be said about someone (not on the BB) selling a turntable to someone else (also not on the BB).

If by any chance its not prior art, then the copyright is retained by me.
Old 13th May 2006, 07:01 PM

It is the way of forums that posts often go meandering into other territories. As long as they get back to the topic within a few posts I don't mind this - it is typical of human conversation and interaction.
I am happy that the General forum covers all sorts of odds and sods unless others think it is a real problem?
Old 13th May 2006, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

Hi All

Philip's post was originally in the For Sale section so I moved it to General.

Like Peter, I don't see a problem with the occasional thread like this. The post was a comment inviting discussion and people tuned into it could read and join in or ignore it as they wished.

Clearly it could have have been stopped but that can cause upset when none is intended by Admin or the poster so it's probably best left to run whilst it stays good humored.

If it was a tech thread or one on a specific theme it might be different.

BBs I visit with chat and flames areas aren't up to much. It's the spontaneity that can make these things fun. All imho of course.

Rich
Old 14th May 2006, 12:30 PM
Lord.

Red face Re: Non Hi-fi Posts

I am beginning to fall into the camp that thinks this BB has too many sections at present, I'll post about that elsewhere.

The current General section is the ideal 'catch-all' for anything else, indeed I feel that that section gets too much hi-fi talk that could find a more focussed home in one of the other sections.

As for threads going off-topic, this normally happens when the original topic is exhausted, or a more interesting discussion accidentally starts. If a member is taking part in a thread that they feel is prematurely wandering then they should complain and people will take notice. If a member isn't taking part in a thread and gets upset at its new direction, then they should have taken part to keep the original topic going!
That having been said, it would be useful if Richard could get his 'thread splitting' super powers back, more to promote any lively new discussion than to preserve the purity of a dead thread!
Old 14th May 2006, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord.

As for threads going off-topic, this normally happens when the original topic is exhausted, or a more interesting discussion accidentally starts. If a member is taking part in a thread that they feel is prematurely wandering then they should complain and people will take notice. If a member isn't taking part in a thread and gets upset at its new direction, then they should have taken part to keep the original topic going!
That having been said, it would be useful if Richard could get his 'thread splitting' super powers back, more to promote any lively new discussion than to preserve the purity of a dead thread!
Hi-i think that this is a very good idea.

Philip