World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

Old 15th May 2006, 11:38 PM

Default Budget System

I'm just back from a visit to Paris seeing all my in-laws and Stereolab in concert.

My sister in law's boyfriend is 24, a penniless student and has put together a little system consisting of a Garrard 70, a Yarland PP EL84 amp, a little phono stage that I built for him based on the phono section of an Audio Innovations 500 and some excellent little speakers he constructed using Pete Millet's design: Jordan JX-92S MLTQWP speaker

OK, it doesn't do everything brilliantly, but for a lot less dosh than the latest stack of What-HiFi wonderboxes he has filled their tiny apartment with a sound that would make many a Richer Sounds punter weep with envy.

Certainly made me think anyway, with a little system like this I could spend my time chasing records instead of rainbows...
Old 16th May 2006, 10:00 AM

Default Re: Budget System

I like the idea of budget speakers. Then I could put a couple idle amps to work. I'd quite like to build something a little left field. But the cutting is just too much entry price.
Old 16th May 2006, 10:03 AM

Hi-it just goes to show that you CAN have half decent sound without spending a fortune,and those who have never heard a "top notch" system would probably be very happy with it.

that "synergie" word again ?

Philip.
Old 16th May 2006, 12:09 PM

Allen

looks an interesting speaker. How would you you describe the sound of the driver? Does it have any obvious 'aluminium' characteristics? Also, is it an easy load for valve amps?

cheers

Mel
Old 16th May 2006, 03:57 PM

does it make sense that to build a really good budget system you have to have had a lot of experience chasing audio nirvana and therefore spending large amounts of money

Old 16th May 2006, 04:08 PM

Why not? To build something cheap and good requires knowledge and experience. For example, Lotus could never have built the Elise if they hadn't been in F1 for 30 years.
Old 16th May 2006, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel-01
Allen

looks an interesting speaker. How would you you describe the sound of the driver? Does it have any obvious 'aluminium' characteristics? Also, is it an easy load for valve amps?

cheers

Mel
I would imagine with a source and amplification that tended towards 'bright' they might be a bit much, but they aren't harsh, have a surprising amount of bass and image brilliantly. As Philip says its all about synergy and with the rest of the system they work very well.

At a quoted 88dB I wouldn't imagine you could drive them with a fleapower SET but they are great with a small PP amp.

It is interesting that to put together a giant killing budget system it helps if you've made some expensive mistakes. I'm glad all that idiocy came in useful in the end.
Old 2nd June 2006, 01:56 PM

If the Yarland EL84 amp is as nice as the Yarland 845 SE i'm listening to now,i would think it was a bargain!