World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

News News from World Designs

Old 4th October 2006, 10:18 AM

Default Re: Slatedeck Plinths now available

HI Darren,

My needs would be similar to Greg's in that like many I use a TT stand from the 80's. I have a floor standing Sound Org table. It's very tatty and needs a re-spray, just one of those jobs I never get to. We could do with some advice, should we be thinking of ways to support our idlers better or will our open frame metal supports work fine once they have the mass of slate on top?

These supports are made for Linn sized decks, not Garrards but should we be thinking about a dual layer slatedeck that simply sits on the metal frame? Probably a fillet of bluetack between slate and metal would be a good idea. This would work with a floor stand and probably for Greg's wall shelf too.

Cheers,

Clive
Old 4th October 2006, 10:34 AM

Hi Greg and Darren,

I tried to drop my Garrard 401 down onto a 1st Gen Target TT2. It's a tight fit and spills over the edges, if you see what I mean. Of course, I'm also hoping to fit a 10.5" arm probably on an SME base to mine so the top deck would, by necessity, be wider. I do have a wall stand as well.

I have no idea if a smaller lower deck and wider upper deck would be viable. So, anyway I'm following this with interest.

cheers,

PS Greg how's the phono?

-- Andrew
Old 4th October 2006, 10:47 AM

I hope all these wall shelves (and the walls they're screwed to, come to that) are up to the task of holding up two layers of slate and a Garrard. The result of a failure would be too horrible to contemplate.

What's the all-up weight of a Garrard in a double-layer Slatedeck, Darren?
Old 4th October 2006, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive
HI Darren,

My needs would be similar to Greg's in that like many I use a TT stand from the 80's. I have a floor standing Sound Org table. It's very tatty and needs a re-spray, just one of those jobs I never get to. We could do with some advice, should we be thinking of ways to support our idlers better or will our open frame metal supports work fine once they have the mass of slate on top?

These supports are made for Linn sized decks, not Garrards but should we be thinking about a dual layer slatedeck that simply sits on the metal frame? Probably a fillet of bluetack between slate and metal would be a good idea. This would work with a floor stand and probably for Greg's wall shelf too.

Cheers,

Clive

Hi Clive,

I have one of these floor metal supports (no idea of the make) and have indeed tested it. Sonically it's great. But the plinth does overhang. Personally I wouldn't want to live with it purely on looks. You have to decide that for yourself.
As some of you know I have a substantial support in the form of a thick slate shelf held at both ends in a converted and large fireplace. A real luxury to be blessed with.
But it does lead me to realise that many of you may need something similar.
There are plans to produce a floor standing slate equipment support table. Due to the simplicity of the cuts it should be cost effective.

OTOH, the wooden tables used at the Heathrow worked exceptionally well, Ikea items I believe? and cheap too.
I personally think these would be a better bet than the metal stands you currently have if you can accommodate them.

Regards
Darren
Old 4th October 2006, 11:01 AM

The Sound Org stand is 508mm wide by 405mm deep or easier....20" x 16".

I expect Target stands will be similar.

Re the wall rack, I have (not in use) they do have lots of holes for mounting, a solid wall properly plugged will support a massive weight, even a Statedeck. If it's not a solid wall.....well hopefully no one's been thinking about mounting a TT on a plasterboard structure anyway.

edit: Darren, just saw your last post - a matching slate stand would be great! What about a shelf to support phono stage and step ups? It could be free standing under the stand.
Old 4th October 2006, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew
Hi Greg and Darren,

I tried to drop my Garrard 401 down onto a 1st Gen Target TT2. It's a tight fit and spills over the edges, if you see what I mean. Of course, I'm also hoping to fit a 10.5" arm probably on an SME base to mine so the top deck would, by necessity, be wider. I do have a wall stand as well.

I have no idea if a smaller lower deck and wider upper deck would be viable. So, anyway I'm following this with interest.

cheers,

PS Greg how's the phono?

-- Andrew

Hi Andrew, no reason why the lower plinth can't be slightly smaller. But as previously posted it may look a little odd with a 10.5" arm? That's a personal thing of course.

Regards
Darren
Old 4th October 2006, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane
I hope all these wall shelves (and the walls they're screwed to, come to that) are up to the task of holding up two layers of slate and a Garrard. The result of a failure would be too horrible to contemplate.

What's the all-up weight of a Garrard in a double-layer Slatedeck, Darren?
Shane,
I would think the stands themselves would be fine.
It's the wall fixings that need to be secure.

Regards
Darren
Old 4th October 2006, 11:06 AM

One point of note,

Slate amongst other things is all about mass.
The more the merrier. Start cutting it down to fit this or that and.....?

The Base Plinth is less of an issue, it has much less removed in the cutouts and is much heavier than the top plinth. So I would say a small reduction in size would be fine.

Regards
Darren
Old 4th October 2006, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

Just a thought but do you have any plans for a dedicated Slatedeck wall mount or floor rack Darren?

I appreciate you're probably up to your neck in slate at the mo

Two dedicated units - wall/floor - made to accept any Slatedeck option would seem ideal.

Those metal framed racks that Clive mentioned and the wall mount Greg uses are the best designs I've seen for our type of very heavy hifi. Unfortunately they don't seem to be available now. Sound Organisation made them as did Apollo, see pic of mine below.

I once tried to get a more modern style but they seem to all be made for modern lightweight solid state gear. I bought one, best part of £200, and had to take it back when its glass shelves wavered in the breeze with my gear on it. Fortunately I managed to talk Superfi in Nottingham into selling me their last 3 Apollos which they were using for demo purposes. That was maybe 10 years ago.

It seems there would be a real call for this type of rack again for us,

Old 4th October 2006, 11:12 AM

Good comments Richard and really valid.

You could replace all that MDF with Slate, and any other rack that uses Glass would be in a similar position.

In fact this was a common question at the show.

If I could find someone to make the steel work I would supply the slate shelving.

Also open to any other suggestions as I believe as an audio group we are sadly let down in the choice of equipment supports in todays market.

regards
Darren